chapter one

Delilah Harrington woke, snuggled in her scarlet red blankets, still woozy from her dreams of trunks and trolleys, hoots and meows, basilisks and dementors. She stood up, steadying herself, before maneuvering through the sea of luggage and belongings.

Spotting a familiar red-head still snoring soundly in the bed beside her own, a slight smile immediately graced her lips. She could vividly remember the memory of their first meeting:

Delilah stared blankly at her ticket, the one that she also received with her acceptance letter

Delilah stared blankly at her ticket, the one that she also received with her acceptance letter. It said, "9 ¾," a number she knew was impossible for a train station platform to be. But as she stared at the brick wall in front of her and recalled previously seeing several people run through it, she decided to take her chances.

Pushing her trolley through the brick wall and feeling the rush of concrete fading in thin air, she was exhilarated. She could feel the magic percolate into her skin, sending tingling sensations along her spine.

"Oof." Her moment of bliss was suddenly forgotten when she stumbled into something hard, and for a moment Delilah thought maybe she had hit the bricks after all. But looking down, she saw a young girl, about the same age as herself, with vivid red hair and warm brown eyes. "Oh, I'm so sorry!"

"It's alright," the red-haired girl responded from where she sat on the ground. Delilah quickly put her hand out for her to take, and the girl took it after a bit of hesitation. "I'm Ginny."

"Delilah." The girls dropped their hands and offered small smiles to each other. "Are you a first year too?"

"Yeah—" Ginny was cut off by a woman also sporting red hair, who came over to Ginny. "There you are! We've been looking for you! Who's this?" Both red heads turned to look at the uncomfortable brunette, who felt slightly vulnerable under the woman's questioning gaze.

"This is Delilah. We just ran into each other." Delilah blushed furiously, knowing the crash was more her doing than it was mutual.

"Hello Delilah. I'm Mrs. Weasley, Ginny's mother." The ginger-haired woman smiled brightly at Delilah, who felt the tension begin to fade.

"Hello, Mrs. Weasley. I'm Delilah Harrington," Delilah responded, shaking Mrs. Weasley's warm hand with a small grin.

"Well, it's about time you girls hop on the train! Don't want to be late for Hogwarts!" Mrs. Weasley began pushing both the brunette and ginger towards the scarlet train, mumbling something under her breath that sounded like "Ron must already be on the train".

Ginny and Delilah boarded the train, carrying their luggage as they navigated through the compartments.

"Hermione!" Ginny called suddenly; her voice laced with relief. Delilah turned to see a girl that looked about a year older than her, with bushy brown hair.