The flippening

"Aha!" after a bit of rummaging, Unflip had emerged from the storage closet, feather duster in hand. They were glad it didn't take too long to find, although their sense of time has been worn away quite a bit. In reality, it had probably taken around 20 or so minutes.

They scurried back to their post (rather, the cash register). They were preoccupied with their task of dusting the counter, seemingly their only task in weeks, so much so that they almost didn't notice their surroundings.

Just as they brought the duster to the surface of the counter to begin sweeping away, they stopped. Something seemed... off. Something wasn't quite in order, something much more urgent than a simple sheet of dust. And that something had to be disposed of.

They quickly looked up to see someone standing suspiciously close to one of the tables; in fact, it was the biggest table in the coffee shop, Unflip's pride and joy. Unflip practically treated this table as if it was their child, occasionally talking to it.

They looked back to the one standing next to it, this person seemed to be an Emoticon, just like Unflip. Flip looked a bit gruff, certainly someone who appears to be quite strong, yet flip seemed quite startled as flip stared at them, as if Unflip had caught this person doing something...?

From flip's stance, flip showed no intention of sitting down despite standing extremely close to the table. Unflip squinted, furrowing their eyebrows.

"Ah, a customer, good morning!" Unflip suddenly sprung into a peppy, cheerful tone, making the Emoticon flinch. "And what might you want?"

Tableflip carefully stepped forward to the counter. Flip couldn't believe flip almost gotten caught. Tableflip was certainly intimidated by their reaction times and quick reflexes, though flip wasn't quite sure whether or not this cashier was competent enough for this to be an issue.

"Ahem, maybe..." Clearing flip's throat, flip realized flip's mind suddenly went blank. "water...?"

"You... came to a coffee shop... for water?"

Tableflip sighed in embarrassment, trying to keep flips composure as flip looked up aggressively, "Uh, yeah, got a problem with it?"

"Not at all," They simply smiled back, seeming unfazed by Unflip's attempt at intimidating them. "And... your name?"

"Ah..." Tableflip looked away as the cashier's piercing gaze met flip's. Flip paused, should flip lie about flips name? Flip knew flip couldn't just-

"Your actual name. Don't bother trying anything." It was as if they could read Tableflip's mind. Freaky.

"Tableflip," Flip spat out awkwardly, looking back to their unwavering stare. "And, uh, yours?"

"...I was asking so I could write your name on your cup, but if you must know, it's Unflip."

"Alright." Tableflip, not feeling any less tense than when Unflip had first shown up, awkwardly shuffled over to the... no, flip couldn't just sit at the target table, flip hadn't exactly done flipself any favors in the 'try not to look extremely suspicious' department. Flip stepped over to a table pressed up against the wall, the chair wearily scraping against the ground as flip pulled it out and sat down.

"You know... you've got quite the interesting name, Tableflip." Unflip glanced from Tableflip to the big table a couple of times, squinting every time they glanced to Tableflip.

"Well, what do you want me to do about it?" Tableflip gulped, trying not to look intimidated by some cashier. "It's not like I could just change my name."

"Indeed, not just..." Unflip began walking away, likely to a kitchen, or whatever coffee shops had. Tableflip didn't know, or particularly care to know, flip slept through coffee shop class.

And now...