Chapter 1

In the Sacred Grounds of the Toxic Bogs...

The storm was massive as many sought shelter from the storm.

The brush fell into the acidic pools as they fizzled away into nothing while the sulfuric water itself was rippling into waves. The wind howled like a wolf in the night as the stars were blanketed by the clouds in the sky. The waters came from the clouds formed from the tear shapes into massive puddles in the mud. The leaves desperate to escape the storm clung onto the bamboo windowsills of the houses of the village before being blown away. The land was filled with darkness with only the light from the houses that where the villagers were still awake. The raindrop made a melody for those who live inside their houses as they took some simple pleasures of life.

One of the villagers was the General of the village and leader of the Venomari, the great and wise Acidicus. He rested upon his wooden wicker rocking chair and sipping his honey-laced tea while reading a good book. The fire of his fireplace brought a welcoming warmth to him as it brought light to his house. The smell of scented candles filled the air. A welcoming place for an old veteran of a war long since forgotten to all.

It was weather such as this that reminded him of his days of the war.

How long ago has it been when he and his brothers were forced to fight?

When he saved that human's life?

When the General was granted his and his people's freedom?

The general still had the debt to the human as it lingered for all this time. A debt unpaid forever lingers for a snake. He waited for the day he could repay that debt as he wished not to leave for the afterlife with a clear conscience and a regretless soul.

He sighed as he took a sip of his tea once again. To think that his people could have been sealed away like the rest of the Serpentine. If he not seen the humans in the new light if that one human did not change his views and see light...

Acidicus then shook his head from his thoughts as he continued his reads. Through his prejudice, he prefers that humans stay away. That is why he chose the Toxic Bogs are their new home, to get away from it all and find a quiet place to call their home.

As the Serpentine closed his book, he heard a knock on the door.

"A guest? On this unreasonable hour, in this unreasonable weather? That cannot be good." He muttered to himself as he sat up from his chair and slithered from to the door.

The snake man opened the door, expecting one of his own needing help.

But instead, it was a friend from the past.

"Wu?" The General gasped at the sight of the man and the young toddler that was with him.

"Hello, Acidicus. I apologized for not notifying you sooner but there was a sudden incident. May we come in?" The slightly elderly man requested as the human baby made noises.

The serpentine nodded as he allowed the man in to dry off himself and the child.

Acidicus poured some tea for his old friend while the toddler slept on the couch. Wu told a tale of great evil, betrayal, and the loss his own brother over the very darkness that bit him all those years ago. The General was stunned at the brother of Wu would fall to his own poison and into the underworld. Such irony that he once banished the Anacondrai was not lost to him.

The snake man then looked down at the sleeping child.

"So, this child is-." He began.

"His name is Lloyd Montgomery Garmadon, he needs a home." Wu answered for him, "It was too much for his mother and I cannot watch him since my brother, and I have too many enemies to keep him safe."

"Thus, you bring him to a sacred and secluded place where you know he shall be safe, and you wish for me to raise him." The serpentine concluded.

"I know I am asking for much, but I know you and your people can protect and properly raise him." Wu pleaded with the snake, "He needs a family that can protect him, and I know he can be happy here."

"He's not a serpentine and we don't know much about humans. He may not do well here." Acidicus uncertainly answered as the baby began to walk around and babble.

"I am certain he would be in good hands. Please, at least try." Wu requested as the baby began to hug on the snake's tail.

Acidicus then slowly lifted his tail and placed the baby in his arms. He took a moment to think as he looked at the small child. Lloyd then smiled then yawned as he curled up to the snake man, melting his scaly heart. Wu knew Lloyd already had him wrapped around his baby finger.

"Very well, we shall raise the child as our own, but this means that our debt to each other is repaid now." The general agreed as he held the baby tight in his arms.

"I understand, take care of Lloyd." Wu smiled.

"I will."