9. Adapt

"Lucinda, honey, could you hand him to the midwife for a moment?" Marlene asked the Luna gently. Lucinda opens her eyes, which immediately land on her son's head of brown curls. His lips were wrapped around her breast, still suckling. He'd been feeding since she delivered the placenta, still attached to him. The little guy was starving, telling by how ravenous he is.

She pulls him closer protectively, brows furrowed with worry. "I won't hurt him, dear, we just need to measure him again to make sure he's an Alpha." Lucinda looked conflicted, looking up at her husband worriedly. Aesir had been lying on her naked chest almost two hours now. He was very calm, and his cries stopped immediately as soon as he heard his mother's heartbeat.

"Can it wait?" Braxton responded for her, having no problem voicing her concerns. "He's only just been born, and he's calm now. Surely you'll put him in distress if you tear him away from his mother."

The midwife hums, looking down at the new mother. Lucinda was exhausted, unexplainably so. She hadn't put Aesir down since she first picked him up. Braxton felt proud, looking down at his boy. Brooke took several pictures of the family as a whole, teasing her big brother about the huge grin on his face. He stared fondly at his wife and son. He was healthy. No problems whatsoever. He's yet to open his eyes, but telling by his size he was most certainly an Alpha. Already Lucinda had lost most of her bump now that he and the placenta were delivered.

She insisted that they don't cut the cord. When she first proposed this a few weeks back when they discussed her birth plan, Braxton was admittedly a bit disgusted. But they explained all the benefits. It was essential for an Alpha to have his nutrients and power, and if there was anywhere to get it, it was his mother's placenta. Marlene said she wished she'd done it with Braxton the way Lucy was, babies were much calmer when they spend the first few hours with their parents, specifically their mother. Laurence often teased Braxton for how colicky he was as a newborn, claiming that nothing would calm him down no matter what they tried.

Lucinda seemed to already know what to do. She put Aesir on her breast and he nursed with no problems whatsoever. Many first time mothers, especially Lunas, struggle with breastfeeding at first. She was a natural at it. Although now Aesir wasn't so much drinking as he was using her as a pacifier. She didn't seem to mind, even if it hurt.

Lucy's naked body was dressed with towels and a top sheet, she had several sheets of padding beneath her, as she was still bleeding quite the bit, and would be for a couple of weeks. Lucy coos at him adoringly, her voice going up a few octaves. It was cute, watching her interact with their son. His face kept changing, at least from the limited view Braxton could see with his face buried into her breast. Their son undoubtedly had her lips, though. And his nose, and as his skin was losing it's pinkish hue he was looking paler than he thought he would. Though time would pass before they'd see what his skin tone really is.

Lucy was rubbing circles into his back, humming softly at her baby. Brooke coos, "He goes to sleep so easily." She whispered, fawning adoringly over her nephew. Lucinda hadn't given anyone a chance to hold him yet, which included Braxton. Be damned if anyone else was holding his son before him.

Lucinda finally allowed the midwife to take him. She wedged her fingertip between the baby's lips and her breast, gently pulling herself away. To her relief, the baby was too sleepy to fuss about it, she slowly sits up, fighting the wince trying to surface on her features. Her hands were tucked beneath his head and body, though as soon as her hands left his body the infant fussed, his little face twisting and turning red. Everyone in the room cooed with the exception of Braxton, who stood up to watch the midwife carefully. Aesir let out a wail, squirming and fighting as he was laid on his back. The midwife takes his measurements, recording them for their records. His foot was the size of the tip of Braxton's thumb. She placed a diaper on his thin waist, instructing the new father to take his shirt off.