chapter 1

AN: This came out of the idea of Cassidy returning as a suspect... It made me wonder what would happen if that was how Elliot returned. This story is already complete, but the last few chapters aren't up yet! Hope you enjoy!

"I know it's your day off, Lieu, but this is already a complicated case and we could use your help," Carisi explained to Olivia.

Olivia nodded to herself, knowing that her days off were only successful about half the time. She just dropped Noah off at school and was heading to a yoga class when she got the call. "Well, tell me what the case is," she said as she turned the opposite direction of the yoga studio and started walking back to her apartment, weaving through pedestrians on the busy Manhattan street.

"Another professor was raped, and—"

"The College Prof Rapist again?" Olivia asked, frustrated. "We've got to find this guy and put him away!"

"There may be no need," Carisi said.

Olivia stopped walking. "Excuse me?"

"The rapist is dead… He was one of our suspects, Brad Carlson. If the DNA from the rape kit matches, then our hunt for the College Prof Rapist is over."

"Our vic killed him?"

"Uh, no," Carisi explained. Olivia put one finger to the ear opposite the one listening on the phone so she could hear better. "He's denying it, but the main murder suspect is the vic's father."

"Jesus," Olivia cursed. "I hate prosecuting people who deserve metals."

Olivia heard Carisi chuckle. "I know you do, Lieu. We're bringing them in, the victim and her father."

"Okay, I'm glad you called, Carisi. Bring everyone in, get things settled, and I'll be there soon."

"Sure thing. See you soon."

Olivia changed her clothes and headed to the precinct. She saw Fin's name pop up on her phone as it buzzed, but ignored it since she was just an elevator ride away from seeing him. She hit the red button and tapped the screen to check her emails. She was sorting through them as she stepped off the elevator.

"Liv!" She heard Fin call her from across the room.

She held up a finger while still looking at her phone. "One sec," she said, continuing to read. "Carisi filled me in. I'll call Barba in a minute to help us navigate the situation." She marched forward to her office.

"Liv, wait!" Hearing the urgency in his voice, she turned.

"What is it?" she asked, suddenly finding herself concerned. She couldn't quite read the look on Fin's face.

Fin stepped forward and spoke in a low, quiet tone. "There are some huge details about this case that Carisi didn't know he needed to fill you in on."

Her brow furrowed as she dropped her arm, quickly losing interest in her emails and giving Fin her attention.

Fin shuffled and dropped his gaze, rubbing his head. Olivia had never seen him at a loss for words.

"Fin!" Olivia snapped. "What the hell is going on?"

"It's the suspect… he's…" The look he's giving her is like he's trying to be gentle with a child's feelings.

"It's the victim's father…" Olivia finishes the sentence for him impatiently.

"Yeah, but… Okay. I just gotta say it. Liv, the suspect—"

"Olivia!"

Olivia's eyes were pulled away from Fin and they landed on a familiar blonde who was running toward her. The nostalgia of seeing the girl made Olivia smile and before she knew it, she was caught in an embrace.