Lost

(Unedited)

"We weren't able to retrieve your mother's body," Beta John's face looked ashen as he said this. There was something more.

"What is it?" I demanded. Brandon had finally slept after crying for so long. I was careful not to raise my voice.

"Your father's body. Its here. I wanted to know if you wanted to see him before we return his body to the nature?"

Beta looked like he preferred to be anywhere other than infront of me, giving me this news.

"Yeah," I replied after a while, "But let me call Emily so that she can remain with Brandon for the time being."

I mind linked her immediately.

It was five minutes after Beta spoke again.

"You two will be moved to pack house. Is that all right with you?"

"Yes. It will be better if Brandon is surrounded by people. I have already packed our bags," I replied him.

Beta kept a consoling hand on my shoulder.

"You should take some time to grieve, Avery."

I didnot understand why everyone kept telling me to grieve.

'You should allow yourself to cry. It will be good for you.'

'It is not bad to grieve Avery. It is healthy in your situation. Let your sorrow out.'

What no one seemed to understand was that I had a four year old brother who had just started his pre-school last month. Seeing me broken would not be good for him. If I broke down who will be there to support him. I did not have the luxury to grieve.

"Its okay. Why didn't you mind link me? You could've saved yourself the trouble to come here." Beta was almost equal in age to my father - Rafe -yet, I didn't feel like respecting him when he was showing how uncomfortable he was, standing in front of me. In front of a dead couple's daughter. It was just another task for him.

"Avery, you called me. Is everything all right?," Emily asked rushing to me on my door-step.

It was then I realized that I hadn't even invited Beta inside the house.

"Can you take care of Brandon for ...," I looked at Beta uncertain of the time. He raised a finger. "....an hour?"

She nodded.

"Thanks. He is in his room. I will try to be home before. If he wakes up, feed him some pancakes. Don't let him eat the chocolates. Okay."

She nodded again.

"Let's go, Beta."

He took me towards the western border.

The walk was short. The forest of and around our pack land was very dense. The sun vertically overhead now, was not visible through the thick foliage. But there was light that penetrated the green branches of tall trees.

"How far is it? We are close to the border now,"I said. An uneasy feeling was settling in the pit of my stomach like something was so wrong.

"Transform in your wolf,"Beta ordered.

I did. Changing into a dark grey wolf, I followed Beta's wolf as he passed the pack border. We would have ran for nearly ten minutes before I smelled blood.

I pushed harder and faster towards the smell. In my heart, I knew that it lead to my father's body. We arrived on the site. There were three more wolves from our pack sniffing around, investigating.

The site that presented itself was nothing I ever saw. Even though mauled wolves were rare occurrence, I had seen my share. But the body in-front of me was not mauled. It was torn apart. The condition of the body was so bad that I was not able to tell leg and hands apart. On the top of his torso was placed his head that was placed in my direction. And my father's eyes were boring in mine.

My wolf whimpered but I prevented her to voice it out loud. I knew for certain that if I was in my human form then I would have fallen on the ground, sobbing. My wolf was in pain and so was I. But unlike me, she was not the one to hold in her emotions. She was not made for that. Anger, excitement, hunger or whatever wolves felt, they reacted on it. But I was holding her in.

'Did the rogues do this?' I linked Beta.

'Yes.'

Looking at Beta, I knew I couldn't get any more information out of him. So, I nodded my head and looked at my father once again.

He was an enforcer and so was my mother. The dull brown hair on his head so similar to mine was almost red, covered in blood. His eyes were staring at me, unblinking, mocking me that he was dead. Gone. Never to come back.

I couldn't take the evidence of my father's tortured death anymore. Therefore, I gave a nod to Beta and headed back to Brandon; the only family I had left.

I woke up with a start. I had felt like I was falling into the deepest pit from where I could never crawl out.

I was alive. I came to this conclusion as I felt the pain shoot through my shoulder, greater than before. I rolled on my back to see where I was. Forest. There was no surprise in that. But the part that surprised me was there were no rogue's around or that they left me alive.

Sunlight blinded my eyes as I looked at the overhead sun. I was nowhere near my pack's forest.

I tried to sit up as my mind started working furiously.I had to get back to Brandon. He would be alone. Maybe, Alpha would lock him again. Or. Luna was killed. Luna was killed on Brandon's welcome back party. No. Unfortunately, I knew Alpha too well. He would definitely dish out something twisted for Brandon.

A slight pressure on my elbows had pain shooting through my left shoulder where the rouge wolf bit. I fell down on my back.

Maybe, Alpha will be too preoccupied mourning Luna's death. I have to take chance. Leave this on luck.

But the fact was that I didn't have luck. And I could only hope that my bad luck would bring Brandon no harm. I knew I could not rescue Brandon in this state; where I was not able to even sit straight. I had to recover.

My body shook with sarcastic laughter.

Yeah right, like I can heal without my wolf. I may as well be a human. I don't even know for how long I have been lying here.

I gritted my teeth as I tried to sit up once again. The temptation to stay on the forest's ground and bawl my eyes out was great but I had to contain the feeling. Lost. Lost. Lost. This was the story of my life. I just kept on losing.

I stood up with the help of nearest tree. My steps faltered and I fell down as I tried to walk. I tried again.

I would have walked for hours, reaching nowhere. Maybe I had walked in circles. The trees around were same; giving me no indication of the path or even if I managed to walk some distance. The sun was setting and I could see the moon in the sky. My eyes dropped and my knees buckled. The last thought before I lost consciousness was that I had to get some help.

I am weak. A little help won't hurt.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

First, I would like to thank @BeboAj and @The__Winchesters_. Thank you. You both made my day. And again, please vote, comment. It was nice to see that my efforts are appreciated.

Second, I am stuck. I can't think of how Cade and Avery's first meeting should go down. So, I'm open for any suggestions.

What do you think Alpha Blake is going to do with Brandon?