Twenty-Nine: #Angst

The boys begin to cry as Irihata talks, assuring them that they played a great game. I make contact with Issei, noticing his tears and wrap my arms around the bean pole, who pats my head. His tears begin to fall into my hair but I let him cry, squeezing him reassuringly. Eventually, I let go but grab his hand, following him and the rest of the team to the stands, bowing to the crowd.

"Thank you for coming!"

The broken team yells before walking away, mentally critiquing their every move. Iwaizumi stops walking for a second and I turn around, sighing as Oikawa, Makki, and Issei all pat the ace's back.

"Hey, we're getting revenge next year, manager. Don't be too sad."

Yahaba says to me, casually patting my back the same way the third years comfort each other.

"Yeah, we'll beat them! Once Kyōtani's all trained, we'll be unstoppable!" 

Watari assures me, trying to stay strong as well. Kyōtani walks over to the three of us, surprisingly ruffling my braids before he speaks. 

"Naturally. Next year we're going to nationals, I promise."

The usually quiet boy promises, holding out a fist for me to bump I comply, our knuckles quickly making contact. 

"Of course. We'll do it for them, alright?"

I ask, the group nodding. We walk out of the gym with our heads held high, already planning for our next victory. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Hey, you can cry in front of us."

Eren promises and I shake my head, but give my best friend a giant hug anyways. 

"I'll be okay. More worried about Issei and Takahiro, it's way worse for them. Semi, do you have any advice?"

I ask the gray-haired boy, who shrugs.

"Beats me. We've always gone to nationals, so I don't know how it feels to be on the losing side."

He brags, causing Tendou to lightly smack his shoulder.

"Rude ass, you've lost a game at some point, right? What do I even say to them, as their manager?"

Semi and Tendou attempt to think, but our small group is interrupted by someone clearing their throat. We turn to see Shiratorizawa's giant ace, Wakatoshi Ushijima, who just blankly stares at me.

"Hanamaki, your team is waiting for you by the bus. I just talked to your captain."

The intimidating boy bluntly states, his calm, robotic voice slightly creeping me out.

"Alrighty, I gotta blast. E, you'll pick me up at school, right? We have some things to discuss."

I remind her and she nods, waving me away.

"Shit, what am I supposed to say to these boys?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Issei grins as I slide into the seat next to him, immediately giving me one of his headphones. The blue object is quickly placed in my ear, and I smile at the song Issei is currently jamming to.

"Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio? Damn, you have good taste, babe."

I compliment the middle blocker, whose cheeks turn red before he stutters out a 'thanks'.  The boy seems to be mulling over something, but is interrupted by a curious Oikawa, who peeks over the seat to make eye contact with me. 

"Y/N, thank you, for becoming our manager. I don't know what our team would've done without you, you've made the season so fun and chaotic."

My best friend kindly states and I gasp as Issei squeezes my thigh in affirmation, both their actions making me grin.

"Of course. I'm so glad I joined, I love you all. It's like a group of annoying brothers that I suddenly had to take care of, but it's amazing. You're all the sweetest."

I answer, leaning on Issei's shoulder. The three of us begin to play Crazy 8's with Iwaizumi until the entire team is finally on the bus, and I make eye contact with Mizoguchi. The adult gives me a glare and I get off of Issei's shoulder, silently asking if that's good enough. Sadly, the man continues to give me his evil stare, and I rise from my seat on the bus. 

"Hey, mind if I say something real quick?"

The team nods in agreement at my words, Mizoguchi giving me a thumbs up. I take a deep breath and begin to speak, praying that Issei doesn't look down at my phone, where my stack of cards is clearly displayed. 

"Thank you all for making my first year in Japan the best it could be. For becoming my dearest friends and my favorite teammates. You all have a special place in my heart, and I'll forever remember our chaotic practices. I'm so glad we all became best friends."

My words are ones that brings tears to my eyes and I wipe them away, wishing I wasn't such an emotional bitch. The team stops their silence, and I smile at the third years, who return grins despite small tears running down their faces. 

"Thank you for being our manager, Y/N!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Eren pulls out of the parking lot, nearly hitting a terrified Akira with Makki's car the boy somehow let us borrow. I laugh as the boy leaps to the side, Eren ignoring him as she switches gears on the car and pulls out.

"You've gotta learn to control your driving."

I scold the girl who shrugs, humming the song 'Call me Back' by Chase Atlantic. 

"So, you guys have a few more team bonding things, right? Then it's all over?"

The curious girl asks, completely changing the subject. I nod, immediately hearing the first few chords of the next song and skipping it, praying that 'Reflections' by the Neighbourhood will blast through the radio.

"Yuh. Issei is picking a school soon probably, and it makes me nervous. I want to go back to the States for university, but long-distance relationships are hard."

I admit, my calm tone one that concerns my best friend. She lowers the music, actually focusing on the road as she speaks.

"Yeah, but you can do it babe. Tell me what this is really about, you're never this tranquil."

She demands, turning down the wrong street on purpose so our drive doesn't end yet.

"Fuck, I don't know. I'm just stressed. My mom loves it here, Makki and the volleyball team are here, but you're not here. You're like my soulmate, yet I feel like I can't leave here yet. Issei's also here too, but I don't want a relationship to hold me back from my dream school."

I rant, Eren nodding her head in agreement as she casually does a U-turn, nearly hitting a mailbox. 

"You have another year to decide all of that stuff, pretty girl. Don't let it get to you now, okay? Just do what makes you happy, I'm sure you'll find a solution."

A/N: Here's the new update to this book! I decided to hold off on publishing another book until this one is finished, since I have a lot going on for school this month (it's my last month of my first year of college!). I will be updating this book, of course, but I will probably push aside another writing project until May, just so I can make sure I'm happy with how this book came out.

Thank you all for reading and commenting, I hope you all have great weeks! Enjoy the story, and don't forget to keep voting and commenting :)