Chapter 1:Sokka, Nightmares and Bitterness

Sokka shot up, cold sweat running down his back and forehead. He shivered, and looked around the tent, his eyes stopping on the fire, it had gone out. That explained the cold. Ha, that was a lie, the real cold that was sent deep into his veins was not from the lack of fire. He had grown up here in the South Pole his whole life, the cold did not really bother him at all.

No.

The chill he felt was from something much different. He could still hear the scream of his little sister that day. Could still see the red that pooled around his mother as she lay dying on the snow. It had been so stark against the white. The lifelessness in his mothers eyes would forever haunt him, never would he forget, he would not let himself forget.

It had been 10 long, treacherous years since then. Sokka was now a young man of 19, and he had been leading the Southern Water Tribe alongside his father for quite some time. They had faced many trials within that 10 year span, the tribe was only now just starting to get back onto its feet. And that was only due to the fact that the war had ended. For 100 years the Fire Nation had slaughtered hundreds of thousands of people. To this day there was not one air-bender alive and beathing. It had been the first people that the Fire Nation had attacked. Hoping to stop the Avatar cycle forever, knowing that the Avatar was the only person capable of stopping them, they killed them all. But in the end no Avatar had ever reappeared. It was now a story told to young children before bed, the story of how the Fire Nation Prince and Princess had been the once to take down their father, killing him and ending his massacre and tyranny. Since then the Fire Nation siblings have been ruling side by side, with the help of their Uncle, General Iroh. 

For the last four years peace had been worked at around the world. Every Nation doing their part to keep it. Trading routes had opened back up again, allowing smaller places like the South Pole to  to rebuild and repopulate. The Southern Water Tribe was thriving now, and Sokka had a lot to do with that. He was able to use his mind in ways that he never had before, bringing some of his crazy ideas to life as well. He also got to build his watch tower. 

Sokka put these thoughts aside as he got himself ready for the day. Strapping his trusty boomerang to his back, slipping out of his tent. As soon as he excited said tent, he was forced to cover his eyes, the world exploded into color as the sun rose, almost as if it was coming up from the sea. Waking from its slumber, Sokka stood and soaked up the sun. Such a beautiful sight, despite the horrors that had haunted him through the night, it was a new morning, a new day and Sokka had responsibilities that required his attention. With that Sokka got to work, knowing that his father was going to return today. They traded off, depending on the week. Some weeks he would go for food, and supplies. And others his father would go. Today was the end of the last trip, and Sokka looked forward to the day, hopping to keep his thoughts from the ache that would always be with him.

Soon the village was alive with its residents. Children screamed with laughter, mothers tended to fires and food. The men of the tribe helped to prepare for the return of their chief, bringing the carts made out of seal skin and imported wood for easy transportation,(Sokka's idea). Sokka watched all of this, giving orders out when needed and helping with heavier things. He checked in on this Gran Gran seeing as she had not been feeling well for the last few days, it pleased him to see that she was doing much better. Never the same after the death of his mother and sister, but still his beloved grandmother. As he was about to head back to his tent to work on some paperwork one of the young boys of the village came rushing in, informing him that his father was back with the boats. 

Sokka quickly headed towards the dock, running through the tents and fires. Trying hard not to run over any little children. He watched as the boats came gliding in over the sea, the sun glistening over the water, making it look like glass. It was beautiful, the blue sails flapped in the crisp wind as the boats docked. He watched as his father leapt over the side of the boat, landing on the dock, rushing to tie the ropes down. Sokka did the same to the boat on the other side. 

"Sokka!" Hakoda yelled across the dock, running over to give him a bear hug. "Dad!" Sokka returned the hug, happy to see his father alive and looking well. "How are things my boy?" Sokka went into detail as he led Hakoda through the village towards their tent. The day went by very quickly after Hakoda returned, they went over stock and trade, making plans for when the next trip was going to happen. Thankfully, because of the business of the day Sokka's mind never went back to his inner torment, which he was grateful for. He needed this, the distraction, the purpose, the strain of his muscles as lifted heavy loads of trade. 

It was freeing.

And that night as he sat and laughed with the other village worriers, listening to their stories. He felt at peace, despite the turmoil of this morning. He was just grateful that he still had these people around him.

Power Like No Otherजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें