Chapter Three

A/N" Short, but important!! Hope you enjoy :3 Vote, comment, and like!

__________________________________________________________

"He what!?" Kerchak roared. Kala had just told him the news; another creature of Tarzan's species was currently in the colony. Kala scowled at Kerchak, standing her ground. She never cowered like the others. Especially not when it came to her son.

"He has brought one of his kind into the colony, Kerchak," Kala repeated, "She is small and weak; none were with her when she was found. Her name is Ara and she will cause no trouble." Kerchak snorted at the last bit. Hadn't Kala said the same about her own son? He was still a nuisance! But, Kerchak knew he could not fight Kala on the matter. She was stubborn, and in addition Kerchak had a soft spot for her- she was, after all, his mate.

"Show me this 'Ara,'" Kerchak growled after a moment. Kala observed him for a second, then tilted her head in indication to follow her as she turned and started lumbering off. Kerchak followed after her. She led him into the clearing in which they had rested the previous night and where most the colony was gathered. The younger, more accepting members were crowded in a little clump in which Kerchak could easily see Tarzan and a bright haired creature that very much resembled him. The rest of the colony were watching the others distastefully.

As Kerchak began nearing where Tarzan and about ten others stood about with the bright haired creature, he heard the younger gorillas saying their names one at a time while the new addition mimicked them. Tarzan was laughing softly, along with some of the others, but when he saw Kerchak his face became very serious and he pulled the little creature closer to him. The rest of his company, seeing his sudden unhappiness, turned to look upon Kerchak. They quickly scattered, mumbling excuses. Turk stayed beside Tarzan, though, shifting between her front and back legs.

"Hey, ah, Kerchak," she said with a nervous laugh, "This little thing just wandered over here, and, um, Tarzan is thinking about taking care of her. Crazy, huh?" Kerchak paid Turk no attention and instead turned his attention to Tarzan, narrow eyed. Tarzan bowed to Kerchak, extending one of his wrists to the leader as the little creature cowered to him.

"Explain," Kerchak huffed angrily, glaring at the small thing, hiding behind it's long red locks.

"Her name is Ara," Tarzan said, holding his position, "I found her on the sand plains, alone. She will be no trouble, Kerchak, I promise. She can't walk; her leg is... it just doesn't work. I will watch after her and will take responsibility for her." The creature peeked through its bright hair at Kerchak with wide eyes, but- when it saw his intense glare- squeaked and looked away. Tarzan hushed the thing. "Ara. Calm," he mumbled.

"I will permit it," Kerchak grunted, turning away from his so called 'son.' "Just do not fall behind. I will not stop the colony to wait on that thing and you."

"Ara," Tarzan reminded Kerchak, "Her name is Ara." Kerchak shrugged, continuing on his way.

"We will be staying for the day," Kerchak announced before disappearing through the underbrush.