XXXVIII

After the incident I started because I suddenly broke by the news, I apologized to Jack and we now were standing on the dock, waving him goodbye. Jack's plan was to return to Nassau, find out where Flint was going, and execute him. My heart dropped at that thought, but somehow there was some kind of truth in what Charles and Jack had discussed when I tried to fall asleep on Charles' lap to calm down; Flint is the only man who will continue the never-ending circle of violence in Nassau and it had to be stopped.

~~~

1 month passed

~~~

It worried me that Jack hadn't written to us from where he was located to Philadelphia, not even to Anne, and I paced through the blue room.

It bothered me to not know what was going on back in Nassau and I knew it was bad to stress about it, but I couldn't relax with the thought of Nassau's future being in Jack's hands. Not that I believed he wasn't capable of fulfilling his mission or something, but I was just way too concerned about his welfare and as for the rest too.

My ankles and feet were throbbing and they started cramping which forced myself to sit down for a moment.

Charles went to visit Anne to see if she was already fitter and didn't want to wake me so he left on his own, locking the door behind him to keep me secured and safe while I was slumbering.

I didn't like to awake alone, but sleeping was becoming increasingly difficult for me and I get why Charles let me sleep in. It takes so terribly long for me to have a solid sleeping position, to finally fall asleep and then to stay asleep that Charles wouldn't dare risk my health by waking me up and taking me with him. A soft click, made by a key opening a lock, was heard coming from the door and I saw it open slowly. I was going to get the gun from underneath Charles's pillow, but I could tell from the hand and muscular arm that it was Charles himself. I let myself fall back onto the bed and my aching back bounced a bit back from the cushiony mattress.

"I woke you?" Charles asked, letting his heavy leather jacket slide from his shoulders to hang it somewhere next to the door.

"Nah, I woke up by some movements in here." I gestured to my abdomen as I placed my hands on either side of it. I had reached the time that my pregnancy was visible to people and it was even more visible now that I was laying on my back. "I guess it has your fighting spirit." I chuckled.

"Or yours." He grinned. "I hope he or she isn't as stubborn as you are. That would be a bigger problem."

"Hey. Says Mr. it's my fucking way or it's no fucking way!" I bursted out in laughter as Charles tickled me and I begged him to stop, not being able to take it.

I couldn't stand tickling.

It was my true enemy and Charles knew exactly where to do it.

After our laughing session, he dropped himself next to me and ran his rough hand gently over my growing stomach.

He loved to feel how his child was developing even though he always denied it when I accused him of it.

"And? How was Anne?" My eyes found his.

I hadn't seen Anne on the streets for a long time and was hoping that she had already recovered from the horrible fight she had to endure.