Back To Our Home

It was good to stand high and inhale some fresh air, smelling the sea's scent and having the breeze through my hair which made me see totally nothing, but it was a refreshing feeling so I didn't mind it.

It was time to think about what was going to happen.

~~~

"Naida, is it trouble if I ask you to gather the rest and send them to my cabin where we can speak in private about what happens next?"

"Yes." Flint rolled his eyes as I had sarcastically reacted at the red bearded man's question. "But.... I will get them."

"Thank you. I'll join a short moment after everyone is gathered. I have to come to terms with someone first." I nodded as he folded his hands behind his back, making his way down the ship until he was out of my eyesight. Sighing, I forced myself against my own will, off of the stairs too, sauntering to the lower forecastle where the night watch was resting.

Trying to find everyone was the only thing I had no need for right now.

Not caring about who slept I stormed in smiling to all the men and awkwardly, because of all the stares from the sleepy half naked men, pulled Silver, Billy and Charles from their hammocks, meanwhile giving them an explanation of the following gathering that was going to be organised.

It was pretty easy to find the guys and had to focus on Madi instead.

Luckily, John was 'close', more in love, with her and found her in the storage assisting some of the men passing over barrels full of food.

It was hard to suppress my hunger while Silver told Madi that we had a meeting and with that information she immediately understood what was happening and dropped her aid to come with us. As a small group we then made our way to Flint's office, meeting him there again. He was leaning over his desk while Madi and her protector placed themselves right from the desk and Billy stood arm-crossed on the left with me leaning against the window, John standing next to Madi's guard and Charles half leaning, half sitting in the back of the old room onto another wooden table.

"We should be sighting the island in just a few hours' time. We'll approach just west of Nassau Town under cover of darkness. Two long boats will ferry the landing party to shore. You two slip into town to pick up the trail to find Rackham and Bonny. The sooner we know where to go to find the cache, the better. You'll join the party towards the tavern, make contact with your father's agent there and arrange for the acquisition of guns and shot-...."

"She'll not enter the tavern." The broad, darker skinned man stated as he sternly watched Flint.

"She won't enter the tavern. She'll have an escort of your choosing. She'll be back on the water before anyone knows she's there. Meanwhile, Billy and I will enter the tavern and begin recruiting."

"Still don't understand how you think that's going to help us." Charles affirmed as he furrowed his eyebrows and straightened his back with one hand leaning on his thigh.

"Recruiting more men?"

"Recruiting those men. Any man still left on that island made a choice to desert the black. Even if they do join us, what makes you think they won't just desert us all over again the moment the fight begins?"

"And especially when two of the people they follow have a massive bounty on their head. If they won't desert us for a pardon, they will for quick money." I switched my gaze to Flint who, with sympathy, watched the spot where my rib had been broken. The moment we had left Ocracoke, he had asked about the injury and how it had appeared there so he knew I almost lost my life in Nassau because of those betraying scumbags and he knew he was asking exactly the same of me again.... sending me into Nassau for the second time, having the same risk.

"I can understand the concern, but it's about more than the men we win. It's the message we send to those who don't. If they won't take up arms and fight alongside us, I want them terrified of the thought of doing it against us."

"Well, then, it shouldn't be you." In confusion, Flint tilted his head to the wide-armed man who calmly wanted to make clear what he meant. "If you want them to fear you, it shouldn't be you delivering the message. You're returning from the dead, but no ghost story I've ever heard of behind with the ghost introducing himself. I mean, you walk in there and insist on your own fearsomeness sort of threatens to do more damage than good. The message I understand, but I think someone else needs to deliver it."

"Someone? Who?"

"Him. I can think of no one more effective at capturing men's minds. And, maybe just as importantly, given the need to invest the moment as much impact as possible...."

"Who'll be able to take their eyes off the one-legged creature?" John scoffed and laughed afterwards.

"I'm with Billy in this.... if anyone cares." I raised my hand slightly when out of a sudden a knock was heard on the door and Mr. Groot stepped foot inside.

"Land on the horizon. Shall we make our approach?" Flint raised an eyebrow towards John while bending over the desk again.

"Do it. And make ready the launches. I'll lead the shore party as soon as we arrive."