Prologue

I'm not sure how I managed to get here, but I'm currently in the principals office. I don't even know what I did wrong. When I walked into school today, my teacher immediately told me to come down here. The day hasn't even started. What's worse? Well, the principal isn't even here yet. Why make me come in here if I'm just going to sit here waiting?

Tapping my foot impatiently, I hear him outside the door. I look behind me and see a teacher with long, black hair talking to the principal. Sadly, I can't hear what they're saying, so I just watch for a second.

Upon the principal entering I quickly turn my head around, facing the desk in front of me once more. I can feel my body start to tense as my nerves settle in. What is he going to talk about? Did I unintentionally break the school rules?

"Ms. (l/n), do you know why I called you down here this morning?" the principal asks.

"Uh, no sir. I don't," I reply.

"You're here because I'd like to talk about your performance during the games."

Oh. Oh.

"It was a brilliant performance really. You should be very proud of yourself."

No.

"I thought you would be suitable to start the following school year in the hero course. What do you think?"

God dammit.

I let out a nervous laugh, "Thank you for your kind words, I greatly appreciate it, but... I can't."

The principal looks at me, very confused, "Would you care to explain?"

I sigh, "I don't want to be in the hero course."

"It's not everyday someone gets an offer like this."

"I understand, but I don't want to," I shrug.

"Well, this is a little unexpected," he mutters to himself. Then to me, "Won't you give it a try?"

"I'm sorry, but I'm really not going."

🫥🫥🫥

And... I'm going.

I can't believe he convinced me. How the hell did he convince me?

Either way, here I am. In front of the door to class 2-A. All I have to do is go in... but my feet are stuck. It's like they dare me to never go in.

"Ughhh," I groan in frustration and walk away, looking at the floor. "I never wanted to do this. Become a hero? What was Principal Nezu thinking? Can't I go back to my old class?" I mutter to myself.

I let out a long sigh. Maybe I should go..? I would prefer skipping. Making up my mind, I walk straight into the class. Looking around, I see the people I've been in the dorms with for the last few days. I never really talked to them, just avoided eye contact and tried to stay invisible. Not able to stay invisible now...

I took a seat towards the back of the classroom. Crossing my arms on my desk, I lay my head down and watched as students came in one by one. Though I quickly picked up my head when I saw a familiar pinkette enter the room. "Mina?" I mumble. She has the same pink hair, pink skin, yellow horns, and black eyes with orange irises. Mina catches a glance at me and her whole face lights up.

"(N/n)!" she squeals as she runs up to my desk. "I had no idea you were in this class!"

"Neither did I," I say in wonder.

"It's weird that I haven't seen you around the dorms these past few days," Mina ponders.

"Well, I've kinda been in my room ever since we got here," I explain.

"Ahh, I see. You still get anxiety around new people, don't you?" she giggles.

"Yeah..." I say quietly. "It's really nice to see you again."

"Same! I believe it's been a year since we last saw each other. We were both still in middle school," she smiles as she reminisces on the past.

"You told me you got into the hero course and lost contact not long after. What happened?" I question.

"Oh, sorry about that! I guess after all the chaos of last year it slipped my mind... sorry again," she very glumly says.

"That's okay. I'm just happy we can see each other again," I tell her.

"Well, how'd you get here??" she asks, her mood as bright and cheery as ever.

"After bombing the tests, they placed me in general studies. Then changed their mind after the sports festival last year," I respond. Honestly, she's the only reason why I tried for U.A. Being a hero wasn't my idea, it was all Mina. She encouraged it and said that I should prove everyone wrong about my quirk. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for her. Until I saw her, I almost forgot why I was even here in the first place. Her light is so intoxicating, I swear that is her real quirk.

"Well that's amazing!" Mina beams. God, how I missed her. I should have made more of an effort to reach out... Her energy is so contagious because I don't remember when, but I started smiling. We then hear the school bell ring and everyone starts heading to their seats. "Say, how about you hang out with my friends and I after school?"

"Sounds great."