Chapter 1- The Letter.

***

                                                                                               ***

"Neville, wake up!"

Neville opened his eyes groggily, to the sound of his Grandmother shouting up the stairs.

He rubbed his eyes and yawned.

"Neville come on, now!" she yelled once more.

"Coming Gran!" he replied, stepping out of bed. Stretching his arms, he walked over to his bathroom, and looked in the mirror. He didn't really know what to expect, as if turning eleven altered your appearance drastically. He thought to himself, 11! Wow. Today's the day. To see if I'm good enough. Or not. He tried to push that thought from his mind and looked at himself in the mirror. Did he look different? Older? Smarter? Cooler? In his opinion he looked exactly the same. Same round face, wide brown eyes, and a mop of dark brown hair. He sighed, and turned around and started getting dressed. He felt that all too familiar pang in his chest. I just wish mum and dad could be here to celebrate it with me. His parents have never been able to celebrate his birthday with him. Well not since he was one years old.

They were in St Mungo's, the wizarding hospital. And they have been there for 10 years now. Neville remembered the stern voice of his Gran as she told him what happened that night. The night that changed his whole life.

Neville was staying with Gran; his parents were out on Aurors business. Aurors are the wizard police. They were out on a mission, something about attacks on muggles.

Neville clenched his fingers together as he recalled the rest of this nightmare.

His parents had just arrived home and were about to call over to Gran's when a group of death eaters burst in. There was four of them. Neville remembered their names with a slash of fury and vowed that if he ever saw these monsters, these evil tyrants, he would avenge his parents. But they were locked up in Azkaban, the wizard prison.

Barty Crouch Jr, Bellatrix Lestrange, her husband Rodolphus and his brother Rabastan had overpowered his parents, the element of surprise playing to their favour. They interrogated them for information on where their master, the dark lord Voldemort was. Voldemort had gone on a murderous journey to the Potter family, just days before and soon disappeared. No one knew where he was. Most people believed that he was dead.

He killed James and Lily Potter in cold blood, and it was only when he tried to kill their one-year-old son Harry, that the curse backfired. Never in the history of all time, that has ever happened before. Harry Potter had somehow survived the killing curse. And he's famous for it.

Of course, his parents had no idea where Voldemort could be, but it made no difference. Neville took a shaky breath, and slumped down on to his bed while pressing his hands to his face.