Eleven

Sapnap's POV

The drive to the airport passes in a stunned blur. Sapnap has music playing, but it fades into the background of his confused thoughts.

What the hell is Karl planning?

"I don't need a boyfriend," Sapnap mutters to himself. He's embarrassed to feel his cheeks flare pink. "How is that gonna solve anything?"

Karl had explained it in his phone call. "Listen, man," he'd said. "If I pretend to be your boyfriend, maybe he'll get jealous and realise his feelings for you. If not..." Sap can imagine him shrugging. "I mean we're both single."

"So?"

"So you have nothing to lose."

And just like that, Karl had hung up to pack for Florida.

Sapnap shakes his head, stunned. He's never met anyone as easy going as Karl, but sometimes, he wonders if that's just another word for 'impulsive' in his case. Part of him - the part that's not angry, embarrassed, and still trying to figure out what's happening - is kind of happy Karl's flying to Florida. It took him a few days after he left Karl's house to get used to the silence. Karl always hovered around him, one hand grazing his arm or grabbing his wrist or an arm draping across his shoulders. Clay doesn't have the same easy, comfortable warmth. Sapnap frowns. Maybe he does, but not with him.

Plus, Karl's willing to drop everything to help him. That has to count for something.

Sapnap pulls up to the airport and checks his phone. Karl's flight will still be another two hours. He sighs and decides to scroll through Twitter to pass the time. As his timeline loads into view, he immediately catches sight of Tommy's newest post. Tommy and Wilbur are waving at the camera and in the background, wearing an oversized Dream hoodie is...George? Surely that's not possible. But it's definitely him.

The caption reads: America, prepare yourself for our wrath.

Sap shakes his head. Just a stupid Tommy post, right? George lives in England, they could probably meet up whenever they want. And the caption is just a dumb joke, although Sapnap doesn't get what's funny about it.

He closes his phone. Suddenly, he really doesn't want to be on Twitter. Losing patience, he decides just to wait in the airport. Maybe Karl's flight will be early and he won't have to wait long.

He literally takes three steps into the airport when Karl crashes into him.

"Nick!" Karl exclaims, hugging him. Sapnap feels a blush colour his cheeks immediately. It had taken him a week to get used to Karl's casual touches and he'd forgotten about it until now. He pulls away quickly. Karl gives him a smile that says he can read him perfectly.

"What are you - how are you here so early?" Sapnap stutters. He tries to ignore the light, sweet scent that lingers in the air after Karl's hug. Since when does he notice these things? He's being stupid.

"The flight left early," Karl says. Then he laughs and a hand flies up to cover his mouth. "Apparently you're not gonna have any trouble acting flustered in front of Clay."

"What does that mean?"

"You're already blushing," Karl says. Sapnap blushes more but Karl doesn't seem to notice. "You're already in character. Clay won't have any trouble believing you when you tell him we're dating."

"I still don't see why we're doing this," Sapnap mutters. He wishes his face would stop burning. He's not flustered. Maybe Karl would believe him if his body would stop betraying him.

They walk out of the airport. Karl makes him drag his suitcases. "That's what a boyfriend would do," he explains, but Sap's pretty sure he just doesn't want to carry his own luggage.

"Hey by the way, have you checked Twitter recently?"

"You mean Tommy's post? I've already seen it but I don't get it."

Karl shrugs and changes the subject. Sapnap wonders if he knows more than he's telling. It's like he has some weird superpower, the ability to read people even when they're not saying anything. He probably knew about his crush on Clay before he did. The thought makes him uncomfortable.

"I finally get to see Clay's face!" Karl says as they reach Sap's car. "I mean, I know what he looks like but I've never met him."

"It's not as great as you'd think," Sap says, getting into the driver's seat. Karl slips into the passenger seat.

"Come on, Nick, don't be that guy. Just cause he rejected you, doesn't mean he's a terrible person. It'll help you get over him faster if you realise that."

"Since when do you know so much about being rejected? I bet no one's ever rejected you."

Karl giggles and it shoots an arrow of warmth through Sapnap. "Of course I've been rejected before. Mostly by girls, not guys. Come to think of it, I've only not been rejected by one girl. We went out twice, then she broke up with me."

Sapnap opens his mouth to say something comforting but he doesn't know what to say. Clay's better at these things, he thinks dejectedly.

"Thank you for your concern, but I'll live," Karl says dramatically. "Would it kill you to say something nice?"

"I don't see why anyone would reject you," Sap blurts, then focuses intently on his driving.

A grin lights Karl's face. "I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. Keep it up and Clay might actually believe us."

Sapnap stays quiet. The rest of the drive is silent but it's not uncomfortable. Except Sapnap can't stop thinking. His thoughts battle one another. Clay hadn't outright rejected him, but he would when they got the chance to talk again. But it doesn't make sense to show up five hours later with a new boyfriend. Does it?

Then, Karl puts a hand over his and Sapnap nearly drives them off the road as he flinches. "Listen to me, Nick," Karl says. "We don't have to do this. I can just stay with you guys for a few days and keep you company. If you're not ready to move on, or even to pretend to move on, you don't have to. It's about getting closure." He moves his hand and Sapnap can breath again. "Besides, Clay probably won't believe us. Maybe if I stay with you for a week and then..."

"It's okay," Sapnap says, his voice steady despite the tremble in his hands. "Maybe this will actually work. I mean, I think I already knew that Clay liked George. It's better to get over him fast, before I lose both of my best friends."