Stage Fighting

Huge thank you to nicki2024 You are always an amazing help.

Beck and I were getting ready for another day at Hollywood Arts when he turned to me, concern etched on his face. His voice was soft but urgent. "Starlight, look at me," he said. I met his gaze, and it was clear that something was bothering him. "Today is when we start stage fighting," he continued. "I need you to promise me that you will stay by my side the whole time we are in class and that you will tell me if it gets to be too much. And I mean it. The second you start feeling like it's too much, tell me. Got it?"

I nodded, my trust in Beck unwavering. I leaned in closer, whispering directly into his ear, "Yes, sir, I understand. I will tell you the moment I start getting uncomfortable. I promise." His nod reassured me, and he reminded me that he needed to practice before class, so I would be going to class with Cat.

"Sir, what is my task for today?" I inquired, eager to know what task lay ahead of me for the day.

Beck considered for a moment before responding, "Well, I was thinking, depending on how the class goes today, you might try a fight scene with someone other than Cat or me. Of course, I'll still be right there, ensuring nothing happens." I pondered his proposal before agreeing. "As long as you trust them," I said, "I guess I can try. But can I wear your shirt in the scene?" A smile crept across Beck's face, and he chuckled, nodding in agreement.

When we arrived at school, Beck and I headed to the back box, where I waved to Russ and then turned to Beck, letting him know I was going to the bathroom. Upon my return, I noticed Jade being held back, with Beck and Cat forming a protective barrier between her and Tori. Russ, our teacher, stepped forward, requesting volunteers to demonstrate stage fighting. He chose Cat, but Jade's menacing words, backed by Beck's presence, made it clear that Cat's safety was non-negotiable. Jade threatened to use her scissors to dig out his eyes and feed them to Russ, in case you were wondering.

As the class continued, pairs were formed for stage-fighting practice. Initially, Jade was paired with Tori, and I with André. However, Tori protested, demanding to be paired with Beck due to his experience. Our teacher declined her request but agreed to swap Jade and me as partners. With these changes, the pairs became Beck and Cat, Jade and André, and Tori and me.

Beck had informed our teacher earlier that I was willing to try a fight scene with someone he trusted, and while we had hoped for Jade or André, we were willing to work with Tori. I had experience with fight scenes alongside Cat and Beck, but this would be my first without either of them by my side, making me quite nervous. Nevertheless, I trusted Beck implicitly, knowing he would ensure my safety and well-being throughout.

During lunch, Beck and I sat with Jade while Cat attempted to comfort Tori. I leaned in closer to Beck and asked quietly, "Beck, can we get ice cream after school with Cat and Jade, please?" Jade overheard and chimed in, "You're lucky I like you, or I wouldn't even consider it. But yes, we'll all go have ice cream after school on Friday if you manage to do your scene okay?" Beck nodded, his mouth full of food, while I noticed Cat running off somewhere. I pointed towards her and asked Beck with my eyes if I could join her. He nodded and told me to find him if I needed him.

I headed over to Cat, Jade following to ensure her girlfriend was okay. Cat was upset, explaining that André and Tori had ignored her and then chastised her harshly. After addressing the situation, I returned to Beck's lap, awaiting our turn for the scene.

Our teacher finally called, "Tori and Starlight, are you both ready?" Tori, with what appeared to me to be a glint of mischief in her eye, replied, "Yes, we are both ready." I looked at Beck, who, to my relief, cut in saying, "Actually, Star still needs to change. She'll be ready in two minutes." Our teacher nodded and moved on to André and Jade.

I hurriedly changed into Beck's shirt, pairing it with black leggings and knee-high boots. Our scene was unique, as I had difficulty speaking in front of others. We pretended to walk through a forest before I threw a punch at Tori, initiating our fight. The tension built as we sparred, my nerves pushing me to give it my all. But then, in a sudden twist, Tori executed a kick, striking me in the head, and everything went black.

I regained consciousness in a sterile room, my head throbbing, and the pale walls indicating it was now nighttime. I scanned the room and found Beck sleeping in the bed next to mine.  Apparently, I had clutched his shirt during my unconsciousness. "Beck," I whispered, shifting closer to him. He awoke with a start, relief flooding his face. "Huhhh, oh, Star, you're awake! Thank god," he exclaimed, rushing to get me some water.

The doctor and nurses examined me, and, with Beck's mom being a nurse, they allowed me to go home. Beck filled me in on what had happened; I had a mild concussion and wouldn't be able to attend school for a few days.The following day, I awoke in the familiar surroundings of our home, with Beck sleeping soundly beside me. Beck's unwavering presence comforted me, and we spent a lazy day resting and recovering.