𝟑| 𝐀 𝐠𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐫

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

My eyes fluttered open at once and I sat up with a racing heart coupled with shallow breaths. My sudden movement seemed to have scared the animal which had been sitting by my feet just moments ago.

My eyes locked with it. It was a dog. A back greyhound. Its glossy eyes regarded me keenly as its body grew tense. I looked into its eyes for a long moment before tearing my eyes away from it and examining the room I was in.

It was a somewhat empty room for a lack of better words. I found myself in a recliner stationed at one corner of the room and apart from this, there was a huge wooden table, with two chairs on it's either side, a huge bookshelf on one side of the room stacked with countless leather books and that greyhound which was still watching me keenly. Though its body looked slightly less tense now. My eyes lingered on its blood-red velvet collar.

There was a huge window behind the table that acted as the major source of light in the room. It seemed to be sometime late in the afternoon.

What is this place? I wondered. And how did I get here?

I struggled to find the answer to these two questions. The last thing I remembered was leaving my uncle's house to run some errands for my aunt then how did I get here?

Suddenly, the door opened and walked in a man. The first thing I noticed was his clothes. He seemed to be a butler. His eyes swept from my head to toe before he barked at the dog, "Out,"

Before I could part my lips and ask him what this place was, he'd already left the room with the dog hot in his tail. I sat there for a whole minute in silence and bewilderment. It seemed like I might have lost a part of my memory which led me to force myself, even more, to remember if I'd hit my head hard.

I didn't have to wonder long because the door opened again, this time revealing the answer to most of my questions. I froze as my eyes locked with a familiar pair of dark ones. The owner of those eyes stood at the door for a moment before he finally walked in and let the door shut behind him.

My heart quickened.

He stalked towards me casually but still, there was something about the way he moved which reminded me of a panther and a cold venenous snake. His eyes never left me as he walked up to my recliner, stopping only a meter away from me.

Now that there were enough light and less distance between us, I was able to have a good look at his profile. Even his top hat was gone.

Well, to start with, he wasn't that bad looking for a man who'd kill a servant and kidnap a girl in the daylight from her uncle's house. The realization instantly hit me.

HE KIDNAPED ME!

I was now much more aware of the dangerous aura oozing off of him. Though I still had to admit that it didn't stop me from taking my time to take in his breathtaking features. My kidnapper had a beautiful angular face defined with a chiseled jaw and quite sharp and reminiscent features. They tend to remind me of those renaissance paintings with those beautiful men and women, all naked, posed in a way to display their eternal beauty. Only, this man was dressed in a tailcoat and trousers, standing erect like a rod, watching me pensively. Nonetheless, he didn't look less than one of those subjects in the paintings.

His dark, scrutinizing eyes were framed with thick eyelashes which almost seemed to touch his perfect eyebrows due to their deep sockets. This added more depth and pensiveness to his face.

"I believe you are Ophelia Maynard," He finally broke the silence. His deep voice sounded calm, way too calm but..

How did he know my name!