𝟒𝟗| 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐬

-HER-

"To the docks," Mr Night commanded.

"What are we going there for?" I asked him, feeling a bit cautious. The bells inside me were ringing louder.

"I have some shipment waiting there for me,"

"All of a sudden?"

"I have to go there," He asserted. This made my bells ring louder for some reason.

"I... don't feel like this would be the right time to go there," I told him, judging by how dark it was getting. I don't know why but I had this feeling that something was waiting there for us and it was something other than Mr Night's shipment.

"What makes you say that?" He asked, laying his intense eyes on me. I shifted in my seat hesitantly as I looked out.

"Instincts," I told him.

"Doesn't matter,"

"A woman's instincts are strong. I felt it that night. Wait for a second... you are going to make me do something like that night, aren't you?" I demanded.

"No," He replied honestly this time. "I just have a shipment that I need to get from there. It has arrived exceptionally early..." He trailed off and this made the bells ring louder.

"When was it supposed to arrive?" I asked him.

"Two days later,"

"Then go there two days later," I told him.

"I don't have time to waste, Ophelia. That's an important shipment and I need to get it,"

"You know they say that a woman's instincts are never wrong," I told him.

"I don't believe in such things," He replied curtly. "I have to get the shipment tonight,"

"If this gets us killed..." I muttered under my breath. He didn't say anything after that. He helped me out of the carriage and paid the driver when we reached the dock. Meanwhile, I stood there taking in the sight. It was after a long time when I was coming here.

I was now seeing it in a different light. Quite literally. I always came here around noon whenever my aunt used to send me to receive shipment but now, as I stood there, the evening air ruffled my hair, sending a shiver down my spine.

Something was off. Terribly off about this place. It was slightly crowded even at this hour but the crowd here was now different than the one which came here in the noon.

As I walked by his side, somewhere in the distance a couple of drunk sailors fought with each other while their crew members hollered. As another wave of air ruffled my hair, my bells rang louder. I was constantly looking around, taking in the surroundings while Romulus walked beside me confidently as if he often came here at this hour.

"D-did you hear that?" I whispered when we crossed by a gap between two huge containers and heard some strange noises from there.

"Some more drunk sailors," He commented, placing his hand behind the small of my back and stepping closer to me. This almost made me trip but I acted like it was nothing. Even after this, I still couldn't shake off that dreaded feeling as we kept walking towards the dock.

As we took a final turn around a warehouse, the ships came into view and along with that, I got this feeling of being watched which made the hair at the back of my neck stand up. Still, Romulus was walking beside me as if he was taking a stroll in the park.

I knew that he could feel it too but either he was too good at hiding this or he just didn't care but I did! I couldn't help but glance over my shoulder again and again.