April 2013

picture is Alice

It was the day before my birthday, and to say I was excited was an understatement. The first month Sam was gone we talked mostly everyday. Over time it turned into every other day, then once a week, then once a month. It came to the point where we only had scarce five minute calls to say hello.

I decided to bury my feelings for Sam, and got a boyfriend. His name was Cade, we began dating in February 2013. Sam still clouded my mind everyday, but I needed to move on. It felt as if he were never coming home.

Sam still hadn't shown up like he promised, and I was slowly accepting that we wouldn't be coming. I contemplated for hours on weather to call him or not. I decided against it, thinking he was having fun and simply forgot about me.

Instead of sulking over Sam, I spent the day with some friends and Cade, enjoying the last day of being fifteen.

...

The next day I was awaken by the delicious scent of maple syrup and bacon. I raced to the kitchen where my parents were preparing an elaborate breakfast for me. My family had done Birthday Breakfast since my twin brother, Matthew, and I turned one. Birthdays always excited me, even if they were not my own.

After finishing the delectable meal, I checked my phone and saw that Sam had texted me.

Sammy: happy bday, sorry cant make it

I angrily threw my phone onto my bed. He didn't even call, all I received was a simple six worded text that had no sincerity or meaning to it. Sam promised to drive down as much as possible, and he only did once. He promised to be back for my birthday. Here I sit in Crestwood, Pennsylvania, while he was in New York.

That night I got home around midnight after a long and fun day with my friends. Being my stupid and weary self, I decided it would be a grand idea to call Sam.

"Hey," he simply stated through the phone.

"Why couldn't you make it? You missed my birthday, which you promised to be here for," I exclaimed, tears now spilling from my eyes. I wasn't sure why I was so upset, the situation was just frustrating.

"Alice I'm sorry I just have been busy with this schooling," he said after a long pause.

"Bullshit, you texted me five days ago saying you finished your course top of the class," I cried before hanging up. I had never felt these feelings coursing through me before. It was a mix of love, hatred, and frustration. Love?

"Whats wrong?" my mother asked, concerned but annoyed that I was keeping the house up with my issues.

"It's Sam, he promised to be back for my birthday," I sobbed into her shoulder. This was rare for me because I usually put up a strong front, and bottled my feelings up. What was he doing to me?

"I know he's been gone for almost a year, but maybe he was just too busy. It's not easy moving around and becoming a teacher. We all miss him honey, but he will be back soon enough," my mother cooed.

I shrugged off the excuse and settled down in my bed, Sam being the only thing on my mind.