28 - The question

Louis' p.o.v. 

Louis was happy that Harry liked everything he had planned for them so far. He wanted to give back for the perfect day Harry had planned for him the last time. When they were finishing dinner, watching the sunset over the ocean Louis wasn't sure if he had ever been happier in his life.

They decided to spend the evening out on the deck. It was still warm outside, and they cuddled together on the comfy couch each a glass of wine in their hand. Harry leaning up against Louis chest and Louis had his arm wrap around Harry and they enjoyed the quiet swooshing of the ocean.

After a moment of content silence, Harry started to stiffen in his arms. At first Louis was not sure if he was only imagining it. But with every passing moment it got clearer. Harry started to breathe more uneven, his muscles tensed up and he began clenching his hands. Louis was confused as to what led to Harry's reaction and was a little afraid to ask. He thought about ignoring it, hoping Harry would bring it up himself if something was not right. But when Harry started squirming in his hold, he could no longer act like everything was normal.

"Babe is everything all right?" he asked tentatively. 

"Uhm, yeah sure. Everything is perfect Lou." It did not sound honest, and Harry did not stop fidgeting. 

"Haz, can you please tell me what is bothering you?" 

"Uhm," Harry repeated, obviously stalling. 

"You know you can tell me everything, right?" Louis asked absentmindedly rubbing Harry's back to sooth him. "I'm never gonna be mad or disappointed if there is something you're not comfortable with." 

"That's not it." 

"What is it then?" 

"I wanted to ask you something." 

"Then do."

 "My mum's birthday is coming up, and because I'll be on tour, we decided to celebrate it early. And...I was wondering if you would like to join me." 

"Come with you to your mum's birthday?" Louis tried to clarify. 

"Yes?"

It sounded more like a question, but Louis still got the message. Now it was on him to get stiff and fidgety. He did not know what to answer. Did he want to meet Harry's family? That sounded a lot like a relationship. It sounded a lot like commitment. Louis started to panic, but he tried to cover it up. 

"So is it going to be a big party?" he asked trying to buy time to think of an answer and also finding out more about Harrys intentions. 

"No, it's just gonna be my mum and Robin and Gemma and her boyfriend." 

Boyfriend. Did he really say boyfriend? So what would that make him, if he would join Harry? He was now full-on panicking. 

"Uhm, I don't know. I don't want to crash the party. I don't even know your mum. Maybe you can bring another friend if you don't want to go alone. Someone your mum already knows?"

"Uhm, ok. I think about it." Harry sounded disappointed. Suddenly he pushed himself out of Louis' arm and got up. Louis looked at him confused. 

"What are you doing?" 

"I just need the toilette," Harry said hastily and walked away. Louis wasn't sure but it sounded like he was trying to cover up, that he was crying. Louis felt like shit. All he wanted was to spend 48 perfect hours with Harry alone. But of course, he ruined it. Like he always ruined everything.

For a moment, he just sat on the couch staring at the dark water surrounding him contemplating what to do next. When Harry did not come back, he decided to go look for the younger man. He found him in his bed, bundled up under a blanket and as Louis was suspecting earlier, crying.