Chapter Fifteen

Billie

I left my second period class heading to my locker to meet Elle so we could go to lunch but I was surprised to see her and Alexis talking.
I stayed back and waited for them to finish their conversation.

But that conversation turned into an argument which then progressed into a fight as a small crowd started to form around the two.

It was the first time I've ever seen Elle genuinely angry. It kinda scared me a little.

I didn't exactly hear what was being said but when the crowd dissolved I saw Elle standing there and it looked like she was about to cry.

"Hey, what just happened?" I asked her once I walked up to her.

"I think I just lost my best friend."

"What happened?"

"I...I don't know."

"Are you okay? Do you still wanna go to lunch or do you wanna be alone?"

"No, anything but alone. Let's go."

Without another word she walked outside to my car, I opened the door for her and I drove us to my house where I made us small fruit bowls.

She was practically silent the entire ride, and still. She wasn't fidgety or talking about her favorite things like she usually was.

She didn't even touch her food which wasn't exactly odd but recently she's been eating a bit better so it was a little concerning to me.

"Elle? Do you wanna talk about it?" I asked cautiously.

"There's nothing to talk about. We had a fight and now according to Lexi we're not friends anymore. That's all there is to it."

"Elle you've been friends since you were babies, you told me yourself you've fought before and got over it. That's not all there is to it so talk to me. Please don't shut yourself off again, just...tell me what you're feeling."

She shook her head.
"I can't."

"Why not?"

"Cause...I don't know what I'm feeling. You're right I mean we have been friends forever and yes we've fought before but...I don't know Billie this time it seemed different. She seemed different."

"Different how?"

"Like, she just seemed mean, and almost envious but I don't know what if I mean what does she have to be envious of?"

I awkwardly cleared my throat as I scooted closer to her.
"Um Elle I think need to tell you some things."

"What?"

"Uh well a couple weeks ago when you weren't at school one day, Alexis asked me out and when I rejected her she..she started talking really bad about you."

"What do you mean?"

I explained everything that had happened between me and Alexis, telling Elle exactly what she said about her behind her back.

I told her how Alexis had called her weak and how she basically just belittled her so called best friend.

Elle scoffed in disbelief and shook her head.

"That bitch. I guess she wasn't my best friend after all."

"I'm sorry Elle."

"Don't be. God I can't believe I stuck with her for so long how many other times has she talked behind my back?! Has she ever been my friend or was she just playing me the whole time? And why? Why me? I mean what does she-"