Chapter 9: Sleepover

1974

Frank

Frank

MY KNEES WERE SORE FROM WHAT FELT LIKE HOURS OF PICKING UP RANDOM CUPS AND FIXING THE STAINED COMMON ROOM FLOORS. McGonagall had shut down the party at around 2 am. She was outright furious at us. It didn't help that I was thrown under the bus because I was head boy, and I had allowed this party to happen. Consequently, McGonagall punished me by having me clean everything up the muggle way.

So, there I was on my hands and knees scrubbing an unknown substance off of the ground. I was pretty sure it was throw up but convinced myself it was random oatmeal.

Behind me, the creaked sound of a stair caught my attention. I turned and found that Andrew had descended the stairs.

"Hey," I said, as I turned my focus back to the mess.

"Need help?" He asked. I looked back up at him. I stared, contemplating whether or not I needed help. Eventually, I nodded and held out a rag. He walked over and took the rag from my hand. Silently, he began to scrub.

We worked quietly, despite the slight awkwardness that surrounded us. We tidied the pillows, threw away rubbish, and washed the tables before we finally finished.

"Thanks for the help. Now, I can finally get sleep," I chuckled, as I gather the cleaning supplies.

"Oh, It was nothing," Andrew said. I could tell that he obviously wanted to say something else but kept quiet. I finished collecting the supplies and set them on the small table for the house-elves.

"I'm going to head to bed, if you want to come," I said, making my way to my dorm. I was far up the stairs before Andrew stopped me.

"Um, hey. Did Alice get caught?" He said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"No." I shook my head. "The girls left about 30 minutes before McGonagall came. They said they wanted to get some sleep before the Hogsmeade trip tomorrow."

He slowly nodded his head. He, once again, stood there, as if he was debating on speaking. "You know, I'm fine with you being friends with her. You get her out of her shell and well, it's good to see." Warmth filled my heart and began to travel through my veins.

"She's a good friend," I smiled at the thought of Alice. A slight blush rushed to my cheeks.

"A-and um... if you ever want to be—Erm—more than friends, just talk to me first," He said. Panic began to rise in me. Overprotective brothers.

"Of course. I'll ask you before I ask her," I nodded.

Andrew's eyes widened, "No-no-no. That's not what I meant. I meant, that she's just a hopeless romantic. You know. The cheesy stuff and things like that," He chuckled as though he recalled a funny memory. "And worst of all, she wants you to know exactly what she wants without her telling you what she wants. Madly confusing if you ask me, but I can help you with it. Cause first dates are really important to her. So, keep that in mind if you're planning something,"