Chapter 14: Perfectly Imperfect

1974

Frank

Frank

I SPENT THE LAST TWO DAYS PREPARING FOR TODAY. I wanted it to be perfect for Alice. 

I stood in front of the bathroom mirror, trying to fix my hair. Every time I finished placing my hair in its correct spot, I'd look at it. And look at it. Then look at it longer. Until I stared at it for too long, and then it began to appear ugly. So, I'd restart. I had redone it five times already.

"It looks fine," A voice behind me called. I turned and found a boy around Alice's age. He wore a jumper that held a yellow prefect badge. Edgar Bones. I only really knew his name from seeing him at the prefect meetings. I must have had a strange look on my face because he said, "I've seen you redo it multiple times now. It looks good."

I smiled, "You don't think it looks off?"

"No. I think you've just been staring at it too much," Edgar chuckled.

"Probably," I returned the laugh.

"You've got a date or somethin'?" Edgar asked.

"Yeah, actually."

"Nervous?"

"Bloody terrified," I chuckled.

"Well, your hair looks terrific. She'll probably agree," He smiled. "Go out there and wow the girl," He patted my back. Yeah... wow the girl. Fake confidence coursed through my veins.

"Thanks, mate," I nodded.

"Anytime," Edgar smiled. I left the prefects bathroom and headed towards my dorm.

Once at my dorm, I quickly grabbed the small box on my bed and headed to the courtyard. I had sent an owl to Alice's dorm late last night telling her when to meet me. I desperately hoped that she had gotten it.

When I arrived at the courtyard, I leaned against a wall and waited. I fidgeted with the box in my hands, as I watched the courtyard. My heart pounded. The cold air nipped my cheeks, as the wind blew past my face. Stupidly, I worried about my hair. Hoping the wind wouldn't mess it up.

Time passed and my worry amplified. She wasn't late. Yet. But that didn't stop my heart from pounding, or my head from coming up with awful scenarios. I just stood there, waiting for her dark hair to appear.

I decided to distract myself, hoping to calm down a bit. The green box, I held, was oddly soft. As if it was well-used paper. I had randomly found it in a classroom. It reminded me of her, so I took it. I moved the box between my hands, shifting the weight. I could feel the things inside move. Hitting each other as I fidgeted.

I scanned the courtyard for the millionth time. Then, there she was. Alice. I had forgotten how to properly breathe in. Or out. I just stood there with my mouth slightly opened. All of my worry and fear left me, as I stared fondly at her. My heart fluttered. She elegantly walked towards me. I smiled. I took in everything about her. Her signature ribbon and platform shoes. She wore a plaid dress with matching stockings. She was stunning. Even someone who couldn't see would agree with me. She was utterly beautiful.