Fact From Fiction

Reckon it can survive fifty years right?"

"I don't know," George said truthfully, "buried in the backyard sitting through fifty years worth of sprinklers and rain?"

"Hm," Dream came up with an idea, "I have an idea but it involves ruining the walls again."

George made a sound indicating he was tired of all the wall ruining, when in reality he didn't mind, "What is it?"

George heard knocking on the phone,

"It seems pretty thick. Maybe I can cut out a little place to keep the box in. I can also use it to send you more items as well." George sighed,

"Alright, try." Dream took out a red swiss army knife and pulled out the small blade, cutting through the wall and coughing through the dust that emerged.

George watched as the cracks appeared on his wall, right next to the sketch of his face. Nothing in the house had been changed since 1970, but most of the items were either stolen or taken with the last people who lived with the house (presumably Dream), so leaving stuff out wouldn't have worked. Dream had successfully cut a square into the wall, and surprisingly the inside was hollow and full of old insulation. He looked under his bed and found the Walkman box, putting it into the space and covering the wall up again.

"Done." He announced.

George made to push the wall open but realized the cracks had grown enough mold to seal it shut again. He knocked on it before punching it repeatedly.

"Woah there"

Dream asked through the phone, "you alright?"

"Yeah," George punched again,

"Just- need- to- YES!"

The square cutout of the wall had fallen through, and George was met with a cloud of dust and a smell that was quite foul. He bravely put his hand in the space and patted the area until his hands found the old box. The box was a bit dirty, but when he opened it the contents were still mint condition. It was crazy, the things that could survive fifty years.

"Thank you, Dream."

"No problem, George," Dream smiled, "do you know how to use it is the question."

"Nope." George eyed the device, trying to figure it out.

It was quite embarrassing how much knowledge he lacked in old technology. Dream had walked him through how to use it until George finally got the tape in and pressed play. The first few seconds of Unchained Melody played, but he was more curious as to what the other songs on the tape were. He asked Dream how to skip a song, and after being taught, he skipped. He held it up to the phone as the first notes of a song started to exert from the Walkman.

"I Will by The Beatles!" Dream exclaimed, "I've been meaning to add that to a tape, I love that song. Will I wait a lonely lifetime? If you want me to, I will." He sang, and George let the song play until the end since Dream enjoyed it so much.

They had listened to each and every song on the tape, with Dream knowing most of them and singing along. George enjoyed hearing him sing, because amidst the jokingly sung lyrics was a great singing voice. The singing had made both of them sleepy eventually, and as they both said goodnight and hung up the phone, they lay in their beds, deprived of their one muse once again.

Little did George Davidson know that in the grass of his small front yard, a leaf blooms out of the packed soil, ready to live.