THREE

act one, chapter threelady midnight once again

lady midnight once again

THUS SCREAMED ZARATHUSTRA exposes a metaphysical problem of interest. if Tom had selected that volume from among the many books on the shelf he would have gained a deeper understanding of the mysteries that lie hidden between the boundaries of the real and the imaginary. mortals observe reality through the culture that precedes and conditions them. those concepts culture does not encompass do not exist for them, therefore, the fragile mind simplifies or denies everything it cannot comprehend; the entity that enveloped Tom was not darkness but a nameless concept, something impossible to define with language. because of this, the brain turned it into a more banal terminology; a devastating nothingness, absolute darkness.

unfortunately, Tom had put aside the work of Maria Sils without much regret so he cries out at the abyss that envelops him in its black veil and cradles him like a child. h̶a̶d̶ ̶c̶u̶l̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶e̶d̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶,̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶g̶n̶i̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶'̶s̶ ̶e̶y̶e̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶r̶k̶

the lady in white sings lullabies and cradles him while Tom hears only cries of agony. life then offers him a reality he is able to comprehend: a shop full of cursed objects that smells of dust and damp, a stage on which to pretend that there is a higher meaning hidden in all existence.

Tom feels his body once again, he recognises he is alive and that he occupies a place in space-time, he does not understand these are all mere cultural concepts. in his hands rests the stolen book and his wand, his hair is still perfectly combed and there is not a single wrinkle in his linen shirt. the shop's air is still static and heavy, but this time the warmth of the atmosphere suffocates him. Tom undoes the first button of his shirt and carefully and meticulously rolls up his sleeves as he surveys the shop.

like a façade, every single book and magical object in the room is in the exact same place as the night before. the only anomaly that breaks the poisonous harmony of the entire room is a tender, reddish apple strategically placed in the centre of the room.

Malion walks in front him as if the golem had been behind him the whole time, but Tom is sure that a minute ago there was nothing but darkness following in his footsteps. the golem stops in front of the apple, picks it up, looks at it and licks its granite lips. w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶a̶s̶t̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶u̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶s̶w̶e̶e̶t̶?̶

Holophernes' laughter breaks the moment of free will that has plagued Malion. Tom notices that this time his lips are not sewn shut.

            HOLOPHERNES
            oh, malion, sweet and helpful
            malion. ever stoic and virtuous,
            never affected by the curiosity
            to discover the secrets your god
            hides from you.