What Do You Fear?

"So why don't you tell me more about this demon problem you've been having?" Erin asked, turning towards where Jace and Izzy were sitting.
Everyone's attention was forced from Alec and Damien as they remembered the reason they came here.

"Yeah, sure, when we looked at the reports for the attacks, we realized it was attacking where we've previously been on missions. It was like it was trying to redo the damage. We think it could be Valentine or a greater demon trying to send a message," Jace said, looking towards Erin.
"I think I know exactly what demon you're talking about; give me a minute."

"So, boyfriend, huh?" Damien turned to Alec.
"Yeah," Alec looked nervous and rubbed the back on his neck
"That would have been nice information," Damien said, turning to look away from Alec.
"What so you could have tracked him down and killed him"
"I wouldn't dream of --" Damien started; Alec look at him
"Good point," Damien smirked, looking towards Magnus

"Here, did you happen to find this symbol near the attacks" Erin walked back in, holding a book open at a symbol?
"Yeah, we didn't think anything of it since it didn't match any symbols in the institute database," Clary said
"That's because this demon hasn't ever been caught or even seen by Shadowhunter's," Erin said, looking grim.
"What do you mean?" Simon asked
"This demon is called Spes Fraudator, which is Latin for hope stealer."
"Fun name," Alec muttered; Damien hit his shoulder lightly.
"This is a very terrible demon; it resurfaces every 5 years or so to feed. It will find someone who is doing good and find their fear, and it will then undo every good thing they do, convincing them it's their fault until the guilt consumes them and they kill themselves, usually through their worst fears. Scared of heights, falling. There was a case not too long ago; actually, a young charity worker drowned herself"

"Yeah, I heard of that, she had a charity that gave food to starving children, but the food they sent was contaminated and got all the kids sick; some even died. She was so guilty she put rocks in her bag and tied it to her back before jumping in the river" Simon shuddered.
"That poor girl," Magnus said

buzz...buzz...buzz
"Sorry, that was my phone; I've got to take this," Damien said, standing up
"why is this demon attacking us," Izzy asked, turning back to Erin
"I don't think it realizes your Shadowhunter's, it must just think your humans, but there is something I need to do. A way to be safe from this demon so it can't attack you," Erin said, looking towards Magnus
"What is it?" Alec asked
"A fear disguising ceremony, so the demon can't use it against them," Erin said, looking down.
"It takes a lot of magic, though, but if we both do it, I think it could work," Magnus butted in
"Okay then, you should prepare," Izzy said
"Of course, this way Magnus."

Erin and Magnus walked into another room while Damien came back
"That was Cara apparently; I'm to come home immediately," Damien said
"What's wrong" Alec looked worried
"Cara wants to be her consultant for a case," Damien said, sighing
"You need me?" Alec asked
"No, we should be good; I'll call if I need you."
They hugged goodbye, and Damien left. A minute passed before Jace, Izzy and Clary exploded with questions.

"Who was that? You seem pretty chummy," Izzy said, looking interested
"That's my friend Damien; we met a while back," Alec replied, not fazed by their sudden attention.
"Yeah, he seems... nice?" Clary said, trying not to be mean about Alec's obviously good friend
"Yeah, sorry. He's not too good around people he doesn't know," Alec replied with a weak smile.
"Well, if he's your friend, then he's our friend," Jace said, trying to be positive for once
There were murmurs of agreement.
"I don't think Damien would agree, but ok, thanks," Alec chuckled.

Erin and Magnus walked back in,
"We'll need some time to prepare the spell and potion," Magnus told the group.
"Potion?" Simon asked
"Don't worry, it's harmless; it's to stop any damage from the spell," Erin reassured.
"So, what do we do now?" Clary asked
"We'll meet back here tomorrow, but I recommend you stay in the institute and out of sight of the demon."

The Next Day at Erin's Apartment

"So, I will have to go into your mind to find your greatest fear, everyone must know it for this to work, and then I will lock it away, so the demon cannot see it."
"Ok, let's do this" Jace stepped forward.
"Ok, let's begin. I'll say the spell, and Erin will go into your mind."

Magnus started speaking in what sounded like Latin while a strange blue glow came for Erin's hands as she touched Jace's forehead.
"Your greatest fear is that Valentine will take away the people you love."
Erin then moved onto Clary.
"Your greatest fear is that you will never see your mother again."
Then to Izzy
"Your greatest fear is that you will never meet your parent's expectations and will be a disappointment in their eyes."
Then to Simon
"Your greatest fear is that your mother will turn back to alcohol for support."
Then to Magnus
"Your greatest fear is that you will lose Alec."
Alec looked up to Magnus and smiled.
Erin then turned to Alec, but when she put her hands on his head. The magic started to turn deeper blue like it was harder to get in his mind.
"You fear... Death"
The look Erin gave him was one of pure fear.

After they had all finished, Erin ordered takeaway because the spell took a lot out of everyone.
"Well, I'm starving, Alec. Could you help me set out the food," Erin asked, standing up and practically dragging Alec with her.
Everyone watched them leave and started laughing.
"I guess sitting beside you didn't help," Clary said, laughing

Once Alec was pulled into the kitchen, he figured this is where he was going to be questioned
"Alec, I need to ask you something, and I want you to be sincere."
here it is
"Are you a Grimm" Erin asked

"How-- when you looked I my mind," Alec sighed; he had broken a rule and revealed himself.
"Alec, it's okay. I know about Grimm's; remember I'm friends with Damien."
"Oh"
"When I looked, I saw your Greatest fear was death, but it wasn't the event, was it"
"No, it wasn't"
"It was the warlock, the prince of hell."
"Yeah, it's complicated."
"It's okay; Damien told me about his brother. I just never thought it was you. Explains why he relaxed around you. Don't worry; I won't tell anyone your secrets safe with me."
"Thank you so much."
"Now let's get them their food" Erin patted him on the shoulder and smiled before they got everyone's food and walked back into the living room."

Later That Night
Magnus got a call from Raphael about an incident at the hotel, so he went down to help to leave Alec all alone.
Alec felt slightly better after seeing Damien and telling the truth to Erin, but he still had that feeling that something was wrong; he ignored it and tried to get some sleep. Not seeing the figure that was standing in the corner of the room watching his moves. He was wearing an expensive-looking black shirt and trousers, dark hair with the tips dyed red to match his blood-red eyes. He was camouflaged as he walked over to Alec's sleeping body and knelt.
"Sleep tight, my love, I'll see you soon," and then he was gone, leaving Alec to wake up a few seconds later staring into space.