Beginning Of All Lies

"Hey, Sarah! Your presence is highly required here"Sarah came and sat beside me. Nothing much was said. I tried my best to avoid any eye contact with Frank."One simple request?" Frank asked."Can I get a simple hug then?""No" He gave me a slight kiss on my forehead and enclosed some notes in my palm. "I have a flight to catch my queen I'll be back for you"Frank left.Sarah couldn't hold herself."Awwww, Beth! You are so lucky. Let me see. What's that in your palm?"I unfolded the notes and realized it was five thousand shillings. This was too much. In my entire life, the largest amount I have held in my hands is 1000. And that's only when I am sent to the shop. My father Mr. Mbeche does the Monthly shopping while my mum does the groceries."What am I going to do with all these?""Give me 1000 Shillings?" Sarah asked."Here"I gave Sarah a thousand Shillings note and she advised me to hide the rest. We agreed that we are going to keep it a top secret from anyone.That evening I went home and found my mum had prepared Ndengu and Chapattis for supper. Chapattis have always been my favorite. I always go for 3 but this night I could not manage even one.My eyes met my mum's and I knew it was going to be one of the nights with long lectures. I cleared the table and we set ready for evening prayers.That evening, it was my mum leading the prayers.The topic was premarital sex. Whoever said that African Mothers have a seventh sense was damn right.After preaching she made her prayers and we all left for sleep. After 10 minutes she came to my room and I suspected she wanted to dig for more information why I didn't eat the Chapattis as usual."Is there anything I need to know"?"No""There's something you are hiding from me. I am your mother. I have seen you grow upto now that you are a teenager. I can read you like an open book. What is it?This woman was not going to back off until I vomited the truth."Whatever is done in darkness will always come to light. And when it comes its always stinking. keep that in mind".That night I didn't sleep. I kept on tossing in bed. It wasn't the 5000 shilllings I received but the words of my mother. "Whatever is done in darkness will always come to light and when it comes, it's always stinking"I decided to return the money to Frank the next day. I asked Sarah for his number but she didn't have and he had already travelled.That day I was so gloomy in class. I spent the better part of the day gazing at the blank wall. My mum's words kept on echoing in my ears. Sarah on the other hand was very happy. During break she sponsored a few girls some mandazis and samosas at the school's canteen. We had a deal not to reveal our source of 'income' to anyone.That evening I didn't go to Sarah's place for studies. I was just at home."Arent you going to Sarah's place today?""No""Beth have you slept with any man?""No mum""Please do not ashame me. I am a leader in Adventist Women Ministry. And remember you are also an active member of the Ambassadors club""Mum nothing happened. I just found some money and I can't trace the owner""How much is it?""Three Thousand shillings"I lied"Give it to me"She took the money and kept it. In Africa theres nothing like loaning your mother money. Whenever a visitor came and gave you even a hundred shillings, she will take it and keep on reminding you the number of meals she has prepared, the roofings of her house and even the clothes you are wearing. Anyway that's how I lost my Three Thousand Shillings.