Prologue

Kioshi's POV

         I walked alongside Satoru as we headed to meet our co-worker. I was in a bad mood because Satoru asked me to come along so he didn't feel like a third wheel alone in case our co-worker brought his fiance. Who just so happened to work in another division in the business. I sighed as I saw our co-worker, who had, as Satoru predicted, brought his fiance. I knew immediately that he wanted to show her off to Satoru and rub his face in the fact that Satoru had never had a girlfriend before.  I rolled my eyes as Satoru played along and pretended to be oblivious. I had to give it to Satoru, he's pretty mellow and good natured, even if he's secretly an otaku pervert. Not that I'm any better with my perverted anime games pointed towards female audiences. 

          Satoru and I followed the two lovers as we began making our way towards a restaurant that serves Satoru's favorite food. But then there's a scream behind us and we all turn around to see a man running towards us. He has a knife and it's pointed towards our co-worker's fiance! Our co-worker goes to try and protect her but Satoru pushes them out of the way and gets stabbed instead! My eyes widen as I see Satoru fall to the ground bleeding. I quickly run over and grab the criminal before he can run away. He goes to attack me but I dodge and use my martial arts skills on him with a high kick to the lower jaw and a jab on a pressure point on his neck as he falls. I then turn around to go over to Satoru, who's dying and asking our co-worker to destroy his computer in a pretty bizarre way.  

          But before I can get to him, I feel a rush of pain through my back to my chest. I look down to see a long knife blade through my chest. I look over my shoulder and see a man I had been seeing around my neighborhood and elsewhere. He looks both angry and sad. Ah, I get it now. An obsessed stalker that thought me and Satoru were a couple. I fall to the ground as people begin to scream again. Satoru sees me and gives me a sad look before he passes out. I look up at the sky as tears stream down my face. My best friend is gone. He was like family to me. Family without being related. I hope that if I get reincarnated I get to be with him again, by his side as his greatest friend. 

           "Granted. Attribute 'Family-like Ally' has been acquired" a strange voice says to me, but I ignore it. I watch as our co-worker comes over to me, crying over me like he did Satoru. He's actually a very nice guy. I guess I judged him wrong. I wish I was able to judge how people are correctly. Maybe then I could've had a lot more friends. Maybe a boyfriend. Heck, I probably could've found actual true love. That'd be nice. 

           "Unique skill 'Instinctual Perception' acquired. The skill 'Love' has also been acquired. 'Love' has evolved into the unique skill 'True Love'. 'True Love' has evolved into a higher unique skill known as 'Harem'. Effects of gender-specification will activate when ready" the voice from before speaks again. I'm puzzled by what it means but ignore it again when me and Satoru's co-worker keeps calling out my name. I look at him and his fiance and give them a sad smile. 

        "Don't grieve for me for long please. If it's not too much trouble can you please do what Satoru asked you to do with my computer too. And... I wish for my heart to cremated. It's a long tradition in my family. And with no one in my family left I wish to carry on the last tradition of our burials. My heart cremated and my body buried with my family, in our family's mausoleum we brought from our homeland of Greece. With my sacred animal sketched above my resting place in the stone. My sacred animal.... a phoenix. Please. That is all I wish" I said before closing my eyes. It felt cold and hot at the same time, but I don't mind. I only wished I could have healed my best friend. 

      "Unique skill 'Computer' has been acquired. Unique skill 'Fire control' has been acquired. Attribute 'Family' has been acquired. Unique skill 'Sacred animal' has been acquired. Body request has been granted. Creating evolvable phoenix body. Unique skill 'Ultra Healing' has been acquired" the voice says one last time before everything goes black, and I can no longer hear anything. Meaning I most likely have died, not unexpected considering I was expecting to die one day. Oh well, I can't do anything about it now. Can I?