Chapter 1

I made my way up to Janine Cast's front door. I had come here to inform her that her only daughter, sixteen year old Marie, was dead. Janine's parents had came to the morgue to identify Marie's body. I stood at the door, thinking of the easiest way to tell a single mother that her daughter was coming home in a casket. The door opened to revile a pale, tired, and unkept Janine Cast. Her emerald green eyes were dim and consumed with worry. Her hair hung in front of her face like a sandy blonde curtain. She led me into her home. The walls were coved with family and year by year photos. Marie was Janine's world.

"Sit down, Detective. I'll go fetch us some tea."

Janine was stalling. She was just as afraid to hear the news as I was to tell her. She came back with two steaming mugs of tea. She sat down, handing me mine. I knew as soon as she heard the news she'd never be able to cope with it.

"Is my baby alive, Detective? Is my Marie alive?"

"Miss Cast, Marie was found dead. Your parents came to the morgue to identify her body. I'm so sorry."

Janine's bottom lip began to tremble and the mug of tea fell from her hands, shattering when it hit the floor. Tears streamed down her face.

"This is all your fault!" She screamed at me. "My Marie is dead....."

Her legs gave out from under her and she collapsed into a unconsolable heap on the floor. She hugged her knees to her chest and sobbed, her loud wails echoing through the silent house. I knelt down beside Janine and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Promise me that you'll find Marie's killer." She said, looking up at me with begging eyes.

"Don't worry, Miss Cast. I will." I replied.