Chapter 5

Questioning Laken

I arrived at Laken Culvers's home. Her parents greeted me and were shocked to see a Federal Agent at their door. Laken's mother was a petite woman with chocolate brown eyes and brown hair. Laken's father was a burly guy with black hair and hazel eyes.

"Hi there, mister. What can we do for you?" Laken's mother asked.

"Ma'am, I'm Detective Bryan Samuels. I'm with the FBI and I'm here to ask your daughter a few questions about Marie Cast. Laken is a suspect in Marie's murder." I said.

The woman's eyes widened in shock and fear.

"You think my baby's a suspect in Marie's murder!" Miss Culver snapped.

"Please, Miss Culver. I just need to ask Laken a few questions."

"Absolutely not! Laken is not capable of killing her best friend."

"Honey, let the man in to his job." Mr. Culver said, taking his wife by the arm and moving her to the side. "Laken, come here for a minute!" He shouted.

I was led into the kitchen and I took a seat at the table. Laken came into the kitchen. Her black hair was tied back into a pony tail and her blue eyes still showed sorrow. She gave wary look my way.

"Who's he?" She asked, guesting toward me. Her voice was barely a whisper.

"I'm Detective Samuels. I am here to ask you a few questions about your friend Marie Cast." I said, gently.

The mention of Marie instantly made Laken tear up. She brushed away the tears that rolled down her face with the back of her hand.

"Why I don't know what happened to her." She said.

"Come and sit." I said, pulling out the chair beside me. "Let's discuss what happened from the time you and Marie met up until you left. You guys went to a party, is that right?"

"Yes. We went to Jason's house. His parents are out of town so we decided to have the party there. Marie wasn't acting like herself that night."

"How so?"

"Well, she's normally all bubbly and happy but that night she wasn't. She was somber almost scared acting."

"Scared?"

"Yeah, her and Jason hadn't been on even terms and he...."

Laken didn't finish her sentence.

"Jason what?" I coaxed.

"He hit Marie over and over again. She hid the bruises with make up and didn't tell her mom. I told her Jason was bad news but she didn't listen."

Tears rolled down Laken's face and she buried her head in her hands. Her mother came and wrapped her into a hug.

"Laken, do you think Jason would have been capable of killing Marie?" I asked, softly.

"N-no, he loved her. He truly did. He would have given life and limb for her. Can you please stop asking me questions. I-I don't know anything else." She cried.

"Laken, if you have anymore to add, don't hesitate to contact me or go to the police, okay."

"Okay. Please find Marie's killer, Detective Samuels."

"I will Laken, don't you worry."

Laken gave a nod and smile.

"Thank you."