8: Blood With Blood and Love With War part 3

Ladies and men lined up to dance and I found myself waltzing up to the line with the other women. I giggled to myself, feeling foolish. Sure I had danced once or twice in the presence of my parents and brother in the courts of England, but unaccompanied left me almost breathless. 

Feeling the breath leaving me at an accelerating rate, I then felt a large hand cup my own. My fingers twitch on the man's palm until I looked up seeing Francesco. I smiled, looking away. Surely I was even more foolish than I thought. 

"I did not think you could dance," I comment, keeping my eyes forward in fear that I would not calm my heart if I looked to my left. The women had to go around the men and I finally caught myself making eye contact with him. He looked as if he was being touched by one of the angels, the way his expression looked into mine. I made my way around him as he chuckles.

"Why do you assume so?"

"You just didn't seem like the type to like dancing." 

I feel his hands squeeze mine slightly, the warmth spreading to me. He was a bit more stiff but still trying. "I dance," he laughs out. "I just don't have the time." 

"I suppose it took finding the right person to dance with." 

The men and women switch sides, swaying back and forth together. It was thrilling and joyous all at the same time. Though a part of me still could feel the lingering presence of my father and brother in my mind. It made me feel all the more guilty as Francesco smiled at me. I felt myself go deeper into a hole that I felt I could no longer get out of if I wished it. Before, I was in control, and I was lying to everyone with ease. Now the lies are fading and I am falling. 

I glided again and looked into his eyes, but then I lost them and I was with another. Our partners were switched and I smile politely at the man next to me. He was quite shorter than Francesco, with a plain face and neatly placed hair, not like Francesco's curly locks. Why was I comparing this man to Francesco? 

I took a deep breath, leading to staring ahead at Lorenzo who danced with a beautiful woman with olive skin. The two stared deeply at each other as they conversed. Where was his wife? 

I had to suppress the judgemental look on my face upon seeing his wife not a few steps away. Did he have no shame? I thought I would be able to expect more from him but he is but a simple man it seems, and simple men are easily swayed like taking the lead away from them in a dance. 

 The switch begun again and my steps directly came next to the eldest Medici son, Lorenzo standing tall and content with himself. I look ahead of me as our hands came together. "You look quite happy, Messer Medici." 

"Yes, I am. This wedding embarks a hopefully prosperous era." His confidence in his family and the banks were truly astonishing. Though I did not know as much as my brother and father on the banks of Florence and the Vatican, this man could not surely be that confident when all of Europe was aware of the feuds and wars.

"And you feel this will end all wars of Florence?" 

Lorenzo furrows his brows in confusion, perplexed by her words. "Why do you ask?" 

"Well I have grown fond of this city I live in, I wonder of what it's fate will be." 

He lets out a breathy laugh though I do not know what he found funny. "Yes there has been a struggle for a long time, now it is time for peace." 

"It just makes me curious," I trail off, catching his attention further, "when it will all end." He finally turns his head to me fully alarmed.  "If you cannot make peace within your home, how will you ever make peace in Florence?" I could see the shock on Lorenzo's face before even contemplating my words. "Your house is in a disarray, is it not? I do not believe a union of warring families has calmed the flooding of conflict."