4: Omissions, Obstacles, and Opportunities part 2

Previously

"I'm here to see Bianca de Medici."

"She was not expecting visitors." I stood still and gave an innocent smile. I was told my appearance held an innocence, it is my brother who reminds me of the darkness beneath my surface.

"Was she not? Perhaps she forgot. May I go and wait for her, there's a chill."

The servant looked behind them and then nodded tiredly. I step quickly inside and find myself in the grand space. The home was a warm color of brown, as if the Medici family actually liked living there, unlike my own. I heard footsteps coming down the steps and I see Bianca's puffy eyes and her great blue dress. Her look made me shiver in her grief, I didn't know what to expect of the young Medici girl.

---

"You're the Bucelli girl my brother escorted, aren't you? I recognize you."

"Yes, that is me, Adreana." 

"What do you want?"

She finally reached the bottom and approached me carefully, she was taller and looked more regal than me. I felt belittled under her gaze, but I couldn't give her the satisfaction of having any power over me. She needed to feel that I was equal to her. "I wanted to give me and my family's condolences to yours. I know you must be feeling terrible, I know how you've felt. I wanted to offer anything you may want. I'm told I am understanding and a good person to talk to." Bianca still kept a weary eye on me, as if questioning if I really was giving my condolences. I suppose I really wasn't, though I wish that was all.

"Are you?" She crossed her arms over her chest. This could mean she would laugh in my face and throw me out or embrace me as a new companion.

"You must have plenty of friends, but I just arrived here and I only have my family. You seemed so kind when we met. I apologize if I bothered you during this time."

She faltered from her hard exterior and softened a bit. "You said you know how I feel? How so?"

I look around to see if the servants of the home were near. I truly didn't want anyone to listen. If I could escape into the Medici's home from my false life then it was fine with me.

"May we talk somewhere else?"

She nodded and took my wrist. "Let us go to my chambers. My brothers are on a trip, and my mother is somewhere. We can speak there." We ascended to the second floor and approached her room. It was similar to mine, though hers seemed more like a home. I lived there but it wasn't my home, my home was in England with my family and the warmth of memories. 

"Your room is beautiful."

"Thank you. I'm sorry for the mess." It was awkward and formal between us, but I expected no more than that, we only met once, I could not be her closest friend in a few moments.

"I heard much of your father. He seemed like a good man. I'm sorry he had to go so soon." She gave a sad smile and sat down.

"You can sit."

I took my chance and sat beside her. I tried to relax my body, not seem so stiff next to the poor girl. After a moment of silence I spoke, "It was my sister."

"Excuse me?"

"When I said I can relate to you, I meant my sister." This was my chance to take a step into their world and I would take it just like father would want me to. Even with the truth this time. "We were just out one day. I was supposed to watch her, I was the older one. She escaped my sight for one moment and the next thing I knew," I paused remembering the horrid day. It was a matter of moments and in one second it ruined my reputation and the way I viewed everything. "It was an accident. They didn't mean to hurt her." The tears that managed to escape my eyes were real, the story was changed to help, both possibly being more than necessary. I didn't wish to continue more and hoped Bianca would let her walls collapse slowly after hearing a story.