Chapter 1

Eren took a deep breath before getting out of his car, ready to get through another day.
He kept his head down, and crossed the parking lot as quick as he could, before joining his two best friends, Mikasa and Armin.
They were both sitting on a bench, Armin's blond hair contrasting with Mikasa's black hair. Their personalities were also different, Armin being shy, studious, a little reserved, easily flustered and cute, despite him being 17, whereas Mikasa wasn't shy, just quiet, and sometimes Eren had to admit she was a little ... scary. She wasn't someone who would let herself - or her friends for that matter - be messed with. She was loyal and trustworthy, like Armin, and someone to whom Eren wouldn't hesitate to confide in.

Eren greeted his friends, and together they headed into the building, towards his French class.
As much as he didn't like being around other people, Eren didn't really like being without Mikasa and Armin, as he would be alone and uncomfortable in the midst of various groups of students. Thankfully both of them understood that and they didn't leave him very often. Aside from them, they were friends with Marco, Sasha and Connie, and Historia, though she spent a lot of time with Ymir, who they had all decided had a crush on the sweet Historia so they didn't see her that often.
Eren was quite content with that group of friends. Marco and Historia were quiet and kind, Sasha was kind and fun to be with despite her habit of always eating (she always had her potato in her pocket, nibbling in class). Connie was a little more blustery, but he was nice.

"Hey Eren, I'll leave you guys here, I have to go and hand in work for my Photography class, I'll be back before class starts."

"Okay, see you" Eren smiled.

Armin and Eren went to take their seats, chatting about what they were going to do that weekend.

"Are you free to come over on Saturday ? Mikasa is coming too. It'll be our last time without a French student living with us."

"Yeah thanks, I - " Armin stopped short seeing their teacher come in with another man, and about twenty teenagers in tow.

"They must be the exchange students from France ... I thought they were coming next week" said the blond boy.
Eren felt his stomach twist into a knot, nervousness washing over him as he realized he was going to have to share his house - and probably his room - with a complete stranger, that probably wouldn't know how to even speak good English, so communicating would be even harder.
Armin knew Eren hated the whole exchange student plan, and he tried to reassure him, telling him it would be fine. Eren nodded, but they both knew he didn't believe it.

Their teacher Mr. Pixis called for the class's attention, just as Mikasa slipped into the classroom unnoticed.

"You are all aware that this year, we have decided to greet students from "Marie Ange" for a period of six months. They have arrived a little earlier than planned due to a storm that was expected the day they were supposed to fly out. Your parents have received an email informing them of the change of plans. I have already received answers as to whether you can welcome them earlier or not. Once class is over, please ask those whose parents haven't answered yet."
He turned towards the french group's teacher : "The students who cannot be taken in tonight will sleep in the school's gym. Êtes vous d'accord Mr Salomon?"

Eren stopped listening to what Pixis was saying, confused as to why his mother hadn't said anything to him about the change of plans. He started observing the group of students standing to the side, some listening to what was being said, others chatting amongst themselves, or observing his class.
Eren tried to figure out which one of them looked like they could be nice to him. A tall blond guy caught his eye.
"He doesn't look mean ... But wow his eyebrows are one of a kind. They look like a pair of furry caterpillars."
The thought made him grin, and he began to hope that boy would be paired with him. He watched the people around him, assuming they were his friends. There was a person wearing oval silver rimmed glasses with their hair tied up in a messy brown ponytail, that seemed hyper, by the look of their foot tapping impatiently on the ground.
A girl was whispering something to the guy with eyebrows, she had blond red hair cut into a neat bob and warm golden-brown eyes.
"I wouldn't mind her as a partner either," Eren thought.
Then there was a short male with short black hair, with a few strands falling over his hard, ice blue eyes.
He kind of scared Eren to be honest. He prayed he wouldn't have to live with him.