Chapter 15

The monotonous rumble of the engine muffled Eren in a blanket of drowsiness, his yawning reflection looking back at him over the background of darkness that had draped itself over the faded green hills on the horizon.

He was the last one to drop off to sleep, after about five hours on the road. Eight left to go until they reached the Grand Canyon. Well, where they were staying, which wasn't that far off from the Canyon.

The bus had been buzzing with energy since they left, until now, after Mr. Pixis had insisted they all go to sleep, lest they be tired the next day. So everyone complained of course, but he finally got his way, muttering about how bad of an idea it was to let there only be two teachers to keep an eye on them, since the French students' teacher had fallen ill, and the replacement was currently knocked out on the front left seats.

Pixis finally wandered back up to his seat, grabbing onto the seats to make sure he didn't fall, with a disgruntled scoff when he saw the replacement, Jack Hollersby, passed out and drooling on his seat. Taking no caution whatsoever, he shoved Hollersby onto his seat, and took his own seat, settling down for the night.

About half the students weren't there due to the rapid spread of flu that kept them and often their housemates in bed.
Although, Eren suspected it wasn't actually a cold for a few of them, but rather an excuse to not spend hours walking as Pixis wanted them to, since they would be exempt from class if they didn't go. That rule was added in for those who couldn't go due to being ill, or their parents not being able or refusing to pay the fee required for the American students to go on the trip. For the French students, the trip was paid for them by the school.
Therefore, a couple of people weren't able to come since their parents couldn't or wouldn't pay.
The group going to the Canyon had noticeably thinned out, those remaining then surrounded by fewer people, which made it more enjoyable in Eren's opinion.
However, Armin and Erwin had both gone down with the flu, so Eren sadly - not really - gave up on his plan to talk things through with him and Mika. He was however disappointed that Armin couldn't make it, since he had been so excited to go.

To that, Levi, as expected, rolled his eyes in that magnificent way of his.

Eren looked over to the raven sleeping peacefully beside him, judging from the slow, steady rise and fall of his chest, sleeping without any travel neck pillow, unlike the rest of the students. Some had even brought huge pillows and blankets much to Mr. Pixis' annoyance.

Eren didn't know how Levi could sleep sitting up straight as he was now, his neck only slightly bent backwards to meet the dark blue headrest behind him. Which didn't last for long, because as the bus jerked to a sudden stop, Levi fell sideways, coming to a resting position on the side of Eren's shoulder. Along with it, a few light bangs and grunts of pain came out from in front, probably from people who had hit the seat of the window, but silence followed.

It shouldn't be funny, but it sort of was.

Eren didn't dare move an inch, afraid he would wake Levi up from his beauty sleep. Because yes, it was a beauty sleeping on his shoulder.
Eren really appreciated the view next to him, the pale chiseled features, so beautifully complimented by the glossy black hair he quite obviously took very good care of with his delicious smelling shampoo.

Or conditioner.

Eren hadn't checked yet.

Keeping a tight rein on his movements, he gently stuck out his right arm to his left side, hesitating before he softly brushed a few hairs off Levi's face that had fallen over his eyes with the fall. When he came in contact with Levi's face, he couldn't help but love the smooth sensation under his fingers, warm instead of the cold sensation he liked to project on a daily basis.