31. Search

You noticed how Zemo just followed after.  You stopped in the stairs and looked up at him, waiting for him to go back up, but instead he just went past you and out to the streets. "I'm not staying alone with Sam," he said. You didn't argue with him as you were too worried about Bucky and on some absurd level you trusted that Zemo wouldn't run away from you. Long as he stayed quiet and simply followed you, it could be nice to have some backup. You walked in the same direction you saw Bucky first walk, the only issue was that you only saw the two first streets he crossed, so after that it was up to you.

 "I have a bad feeling about this," Zemo said and kept close.

"You're more than welcome to go back to the apartment," you said and kept your focus on the streets. You stopped up and took a breath before you turned around and looked at Zemo. "Why do you have a bad feeling?" You asked and tried to sound more welcoming.

"I think we may not only have friends here" he said while you were staring at the roof tops. Was that why you couldn't see him? He went above? or maybe he went underground.

 "Spit it out Zemo, I talk in many languages, but I don't talk vague" you said and couldn't hold back your annoyance anymore. 

"Somebody is following.." more couldn't be said before you heard shots getting fired.

"Run!" you said as the two of you immediately started to run down the streets trying to shake some extremely aggressive gun shooters. "Who the hell is this?" you yelled at Zemo. You couldn't get rid of the guys and you stopped up. "What are you doing y/n, we need to run!" Zemo yelled in frustration. You grabbed your batons "They are not gonna stop chasing us and we shouldn't lead them to our home. Break into that car and get it going" you commanded Zemo, and for god's sake he listened. The guys came closer and you tighten the grip on your batons as you run towards them.

They started shooting at you, but before they ever could hit, you threw vibrations through the batons, causing the bullets to fall to the ground. You were now close enough to stop the bullets, yet far enough for them to keep their distance, hopefully.

"Zemo, why is this taking so long!" you yelled and tried to hold back as much as you could. "We don't exactly hijack cars in the death squad!" he yelled back. You groaned in annoyance. More men came up and it became harder to throw the vibrations, luckily Zemo fixed it. You ran back for the car and were on your way to sit down, you felt a bullet in the air in Zemo's direction. Without thinking you pushed Zemo in to the car so the bullet hit your shoulder.

"Fuck" you screamed as you fell down in pain.

Everything became black for a hot minute. Zemo didn't even think before he grabbed you and lifted you in the car and immediately started driving away. "What were you thinking?" he yelled at you in shock. You had just thrown yourself in front a bullet for him, and he had no explanation to why you would do such stupid thing for him. "I'm fine, just drive south" you screamed in pain. He did exactly as you told him, and his eyes should've been on the road, but he was only looking at you, scared that his own ignorance could hurt you so badly.

You knew what you had to do, but you hated the idea that you had to do it in front of him. You knew he would change his mind about you for the worse and ask thousands of questions. You tried to calm yourself down, but your head was spinning and blood was leaving your body.

You took one hand over your shoulder where the bullet was and started to alter the magnetic field. Tears were streaming down your face as you tried to focus on finding the bullet inside of you. Had this been ten years ago you could've done it in a heartbeat, but this was now, 7 years without altering the field. Your hands were shaking, but you finally found the bullet and altered. Your fingers making small movements in the air, leading the bullet out of your body. Your body was sweating, afraid you might hit a nerve inside of your body that could worsen the situation, but you got it safely out and now held the bullet in your hand. You didn't dare to look at Zemo, this would be his chance to kill you on the spot if he really wanted to, but you just had to beg to god he didn't.

You got out the toolbox that you luckily had kept in your pockets and opened it calling Sam. "Is Bucky with you?" you screamed in pain. The bullet was out so you were safe from death, but blood was leaving you so you tried to sit as still as possible. "Yes he is, are you okay? You sound like you're in pain? did Ze.." more didn't you let him say.

"Listen Sam, you and Bucky need to get out of that apartment are right NOW. I think bounty hunters from Madripoor followed us. I'm fine, I got shot, but I'm fine.." you said taking deep breaths trying to focus.

"Y/n you should never have gone out by yourself.." Bucky started

"Is this really the right time to lecture her.." Zemo snapped back at Bucky.

"Shut up the both of you. I have a safe house. We will go there for a couple of days, lay low and regroup. If we are split like this, it's harder for them to track us. OKAY?" you yelled out, causing everyone to become quiet "thank you" you said and ended the call. You wrote in the coordinates to the safe house so Zemo had something to follow. If he did as told and drove at this tempo, we would be there within an hour, but you would need to fix your open wound before that or at least stop the blood from running. You took your foot on the car desk and ripped off fabric from your pants and wrapped it as tight as you could around your shoulder, making sure you stopped the blood. You laid down your head, and suddenly felt how heavy your eyelids were and fell asleep.

"Y/n, wake up. We are here." you heard a voice say in the far distance. Your eyes slowly opened up as you looked to the side, he had driven you to the right house, that meant he didn't want to kill you yet. Good sign. You tried to set yourself up, but the pain came running back as you groand. "Sit still, I'll help you" Zemo said quickly going out of the car and opening the door for you. You looked up at him with a tired weak smile. "Why are you doing this?" you couldn't help yourself but ask. Zemo looked away for a second. You were unsure if that was his form of answering your question, or if he only needed time to think. He leaned down so he stood on the same level as you

"My bird's wings are broken and right now I only need to make sure she can fly again, before I make any decisions." he whispered.