𝟒| 𝐌𝐲 𝐤𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐦𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

"And yes, I'll be accompanying you for your safety," He added as if reading my thoughts. Of course, I didn't trust him.

"And you think that's not going to raise any kind of suspicion?" I asked him, holding his dark and pensive gaze.

"You'll find out about that soon," He replied as he leaned back in his chair and took out what looked like a pocket watch, never tearing his eyes away from mine. His eyes only left me to flicker to the watch for a couple of second before he declared, "We should leave now,"

I watched him as he pocketed the watch, gracefully stood up from his chair, and silently walked towards the door before opening it and looking at me, waiting. There was something eerie about the way he moved. His moments were swift and calculated and so were his eyes.

I hesitated for a bit but I stood up slowly and walked up to him, never breaking eye contact. He shut the door behind me as we stepped out of the room.

"Follow me," He commanded before turning around and walking down what looked like a corridor. I tried my best to match his long strides and at the same time, also look around.

The walls of the corridor were empty and dull. There were a couple of doors on the way but I didn't feel like finding out what might be waiting behind those doors. He took a sharp turn and disappeared around the corner. He was fast!

I lifted my skirt and literally ran after him. As soon as I turned around the corner, I found a landing from where the rest of what looked like an old mansion was visible. I spotted him already halfway down the steps.

"Quick, Miss Maynard," He commanded over his shoulder when he noticed that I was far behind. I took my time climbing down the stairs because first, those stairs creaked terribly and I was afraid of falling through them, and second, I was wearing a damn skirt and my lungs were being squeezed by a corset that was a size smaller than my actual size.

"Frith," Meanwhile, I heard him call out while I reached the bottom of the stairs. The butler I had seen previously appeared from somewhere in the house. "Prepare a room upstairs and take her back to Baker's Street. She needs to get her belongings for her stay with us,"

At this, the butler's eyes flickered to me. He didn't look pleased with the idea of having a guest and neither was I pleased with the idea of being their guest.

He bowed before turning around and walking towards the back of the house. In the meantime, I looked at the interior of the house. The walls were as dull and empty as ever. Huge cobwebs hung from certain corners of the house and at some parts, the plaster was flaking off of the walls, showing off the bricks that laid under it.

The place looked like it was seconds away from falling apart even after having a butler in the house. I wondered if Mr. Night was aware of this fact. I looked at his face.

I decided he was aware of it.

"While you're there," He spoke to me as he led me out of that house, "I expect you to not speak of me or our arrangement. I hope you do understand how a lot of things depend on it," He glanced at me darkly as he said that, sending a shiver down my spine.

"I will try," I muttered, feeling the intensity of his eyes increase on me furthermore.

We were at the doorstep of the house now. From the outside, the house looked much older and abandoned. The place was surrounded by naked trees and the ground was covered with leaves and unkempt grass.

No one would ever say that someone would live here. This was just the front of the house. I wondered what the back of the house looked like. Were there unmarked gravestones there? I shuddered. I wasn't too keen about finding out. Mr. Night cocked one of his perfectly sculpted eyebrows when he saw me paying attention to such things.