Haku

I reel back in surprise, or at least try to reel back in surprise, but there's kind of two steel doors in my way. Haku pushes off the wall and backs up substantial, pupils shrunk down to the size of a flea.

        Oh my gosh.

        Oh my gosh.

        This is Haku. He's the best person in the history of the world. He promised we'd see each other again someday.

        That's what I had written down, isn't I?        

        I look over to the notebook, sprawled across the lunchroom floor.

        That's what I had written down, isn't it?

        Haku just looks at me. Neither one of us can say anything. It's funny, but I'd always expected this reuinion to pan out a bit differently. You know, less awkward silence. More tears and hugging. Lots of hugging.

        The first thing I notice . . . is that he hasn't aged a day since I last saw him.

        I kind of half-laugh. "Hey, you're still a . . . oh."

        That last part is because as I try to comment on how he still looks like a kid, he starts to . . . change. AKA, grow up. Literally. He starts to shoot up in height and his shoulders get bigger and his hair grows out and . . . he is certainly not a kid.

        Oh, indeed.

        "Um," I say, because exactly what do you say in a situation like this? Words just kind of leave you when guy goes from childhood buddy/adventurer/dragon-savior to handsome and in need of a haircut in the best possible way.

        "You shouldn't be here," he says.

        I blink. "What?"

        "Get out of here. Now!"

        "Okay, that reference would totally be cute in any other circumstance," I say, crossing my arms, "but seriously, what the heck is going on here?"

        "There's no time," Haku says, trying to get past me. "Quick, where did he go, Chihiro?"

        "Out the back entrance of the school," I say, blocking the way out, "but wait--what's--"

        "You need to go back," Haku says. "Let me by."

        "No!" I protest. "Not until you explain what's going on!"

        Haku makes a split second decision and grabs my arm. "Fine, then. Let's go!"

---

A/N: This is the shortest update I've ever written in my life, but it's all I've got left in me XD More soon!