Chapter Eleven

POLICE STATION - DAY

Stephanie sits in a cramped, dingy room. She still looks shell-shocked from witnessing her professor's murder.

A cheerful COP (40) enters the room.

COP: Sorry to keep you waiting. You need some water?

She shakes her head.

COP: Coffee? Tea? Mountain Dew?

STEPHANIE: No. Can I go now? I've given you enough information to catch the people who did this.

COP: Sure. Sure. You're totally not a suspect, hope that was clear. I just wanted to check that you're not aware of anyone who would hold a grudge against your Professor.

STEPHANIE: No. He was just a really sweet guy.

COP: Sorry to hear it. I mean that he died. Not that he was sweet.

STEPHANIE: Are you going to catch the people who did this? The Mutants?

COP: Oh yeah, the Mutants. Lot of gangs around these days. Hard to keep track of them. Not really in my jurisdiction either.

STEPHANIE: A professor was killed in a supposedly secure lab! The gangs are having this big meeting in two days. And you're not going to do anything?

COP: I will definitely, uh, pass on the information you've given me to the appropriate people.

STEPHANIE: Whatever. I'm out.

She gets up and walks out of the room.

COP: Have a nice day!

GOTHAM COMMUNITY COLLEGE - QUAD

Stephanie sits by herself on a bench as a light rain falls. Her tears mix with the rain running down her face.

Adalyn walks by and stops when she sees Stephanie. She hesitates, is about to walk on, then decides to talk to her.

ADALYN: Hello.

Stephanie can't even manage a smile.

STEPHANIE: Hi.

ADALYN: Are you okay?

Stephanie shakes her head and wipes her eyes.

ADALYN: Do you want to talk about it?

STEPHANIE: Professor Chow was murdered today.

There is a momentary look of something, maybe guilt, on Adalyn's face, but it passes.

ADALYN: That's so awful. I'm sorry.

STEPHANIE: And the shitbrained cops don't want to do anything. Total ACABs.

Adalyn sits down next to her and puts a hand gently on her back.

ADALYN: Can I do anything?

Stephanie gives her a half-smile.

STEPHANIE: You can sit with me.

They sit in silence for a moment.

ADALYN: What are you going to do?

Stephanie's face changes to a steely, determined look.

STEPHANIE: I'm going to find the one person who can help me catch his killers.

WAYNE ENTERPRISES HEADQUARTERS - DAY

Wayne Enterprises headquarters looks old and neglected among the newer, taller skyscrapers of downtown Gotham. A mist hangs over everything ominously.

JULIAN DAY'S OFFICE

Julian Day sits in his office on a phone call. The walls are decorated with cuts outs from various newspapers and magazines, giving the room an obsessive corporate serial killer vibe.

Julian leafs through a desk calendar as he talks.

JULIAN: Just tell the boss I'll handle it, okay?

There is a knock on the door. Julian is startled and quickly hangs up the call.

JULIAN: Come in.

Bruce enters the office. He looks at Julian with suspicion.

JULIAN: Bruce! To what do I owe this pleasure?

BRUCE: Cal Newton was murdered last night.

Julian pretends to be sad.

JULIAN: I heard. So tragic.

BRUCE: Yeah, I can see you're really broken up.

JULIAN: What are you inferring?

BRUCE: Nothing. But you and he worked very closely for a number of years. And he never did tell the authorities who assisted him in his money laundering.

JULIAN: So what? You think after five years I just decided to bump him off in case he talked about something I may or may not have done?

BRUCE: Just curious if there's anything you want to tell me.

Julian swallows nervously.

JULIAN: No, Bruce. I have nothing to say about his murder.

Bruce stares at him for a moment.

BRUCE: By the way, I noticed there was a police presence at the science lab earlier. Anything I should know about?

JULIAN: Oh, we had a break-in earlier. Nothing serious. They just stole some minor research equipment.

BRUCE: Anyone hurt?

JULIAN: A research scientist was killed. Chow was his name I believe.

Bruce looks shocked.

BRUCE: Why didn't you tell me about this?

JULIAN: I didn't want to bother you.

BRUCE: I want the police to have our full cooperation investigating this. Make sure his funeral expenses are taken care of. And anything else his family needs.

JULIAN: Of course. I'll take care of it.

BRUCE: Good. You can go back to... uh, your work.

Bruce exits.

Julian picks up a wooden paperweight on his desk and crushes it, gritting his teeth. Blood runs down his fingers.

TV SCREEN

The same Newscaster from before reads a report about the Scarecrow killings. We see footage of the crime scenes.

NEWSCASTER: Authorities have so far refused to comment on whether these murders are connected, but the death of another of Gotham's richest citizens has led to speculation that a serial killer is targeting the city's elite.

Stock footage of Rupert Thorne.

NEWSCASTER: One of Gotham's most infamous business leaders, Rupert Thorne, has cancelled all public appearances since the killings began, leading to speculation that there may be an exodus of the rich and famous from Gotham until the killer is caught.

We see another video clip of the Mutant Leader addressing the camera.

NEWSCASTER: One person who has not been afraid of commenting on the killings is the notorious Mutant Leader.

MUTANT LEADER: The 1% should be afraid. These killings are nothing compared to what will happen to them when we take over the city. Perhaps their champion, the Batman, will come out of retirement to defend them. If he does, I will be waiting.