Chapter Seventeen

BATWING - NIGHT

Batman and Stephanie wait awkwardly by the wreck of the Batwing.

STEPHANIE: So what do we do if the Mutants come looking for us before your friend finds us?

BATMAN: They won't. The Mutants are cowards. And they probably think we're dead.

They stand silently for a moment.

STEPHANIE: So... wanna help me bring them to justice for killing my Prof?

BATMAN: The police can handle the Mutants.

STEPHANIE: No, they can't. Have you seen what's happening in this city?

BATMAN: Why would they kill him in the first place? That's where you should be starting.

STEPHANIE: I don't know, but they took a bunch of his equipment when they left. I think maybe someone paid them to break into his lab.

Batman looks interested.

BATMAN: What was his name?

STEPHANIE: Professor Chow. He worked for you, I thought.

BATMAN: One of my divisions. I never met him.

STEPHANIE: So that means you don't care? Or do you only investigate murders when the victim is a one percenter or something?

Before he can answer, headlights splash over them.

A large tow truck pulls to a stop beside them.  The driver's door open and someone steps out. The figure walks towards them, limping. He steps out of the shadows, revealing--

DICK GRAYSON. African American, late 40s. He still has a youthful spirit to him, despite time wearing down his body.

DICK: Well, well. Look what the bat dragged in.

BATMAN: Thanks for coming.

Dick looks at Stephanie, confused. She waves at him.

STEPHANIE: Oh my god. You're Dick Grayson.

DICK: And you are?

STEPHANIE: Stephanie Brown.

DICK: Pleased to meet you.

He examines the damage.

DICK: What did you do to my baby?

BATMAN: We ran into some trouble with the Mutants.

DICK: Well, let's get this thing under wraps.

GRAYSON HOUSEHOLD

Dick lives in a modest two-story house with a huge garage. He backs the truck into it. The Batwing sits under a tarp on the back.

GARAGE

The garage takes up almost the whole first floor. It is filled with vehicles, gadgets and weapons in various stages of construction.

Stephanie, still in costume, wanders around looking at everything with a sense of wonder. Bruce (out of costume) and Dick talk as the latter tinkers with the Batwing.

BRUCE: Can you repair it?

DICK: I can repair anything, you know that. But it's going to take a while. I don't know why you even took it out again. I thought you had retired?

BRUCE: I never retired. Why does everyone keep saying that? I just took a sabbatical from wearing the suit.

Dick grins. He takes out a wrench and continues working on the Batwing. He glances at Stephanie.