The King's Departure

"I'll see you soon, sweetheart." Jaredeth pressed one final kiss to Jaliah's cheek and rubbed her head before passing her back to Rynn. "You'll be a good girl while dad's gone, yes? No fussing with Miss Rynn." He tapped her little nose, and she smiled.

For two weeks he'd be away in Tandridge, negotiating trade talks started under his father. That meant five days by boat, past the mountains that separated this continent's eastern and western regions. Agonising, but he'd take that over sitting through another Council meeting.

In the two that followed his first, he could feel the rift he'd formed between himself and the Council widen. They were being short with him, some might say spiteful. While they still squabbled over the the most petty, minute details, over who deserved funding for what project, they were united in their ire against him.

Even Elaine was acting standoffish. When they were in the public eye, she hung off his arm and played the role of darling wife, but behind closed doors she kept him at arm's length. When he came up to bed at night, he met her asleep and when he awoke, he met her gone. On the rare occasion, they dined together, only the chimes of silverware against porcelain and unsaid words hung in the air between them.

He wouldn't say the things she wanted to hear, walk back his decision, admit he was wrong. She wouldn't trust his judgment. They were at an impasse and he wasn't sure what he needed to do to fix it. But they couldn't go on like this for another week.

Jaredeth left the nursery and made his way through the halls down to the north entrance of the castle, only stopping in the vestibule to get his coat and confer with Havers. There he met his mother, sipping on a cup of tea while the guards carried her bags out to a waiting carriage.

"Hello darling." Genevieve rose and greeted Jaredeth with a kiss on the cheek.

"You're leaving too?" He looked back and forth between the carriage and his mother. "Why didn't you say something?"

She gave a wave of dismissal and adjused the lapel of her woolen coat. "Oh, it's just a last-minute thing. I'm going north to Hutton to see... an old friend, just for a day or two."

"Alright." Jaredeth frowned his curiosity but didn't press. If there was more he needed to know, mother would tell him. "Well, I'll be gone for much longer. Feels like I've barely settled into the throne and I'm already going off to engage in... diplomatic relations."

Genevieve gestured for him to lead the way out. "You know how important this trade agreement was to your father. Many other towns and kingdoms in the east have fallen to the netherborne, and those that remain are wary of our relations with the Divine City. We need to seek out stronger alliances elsewhere."

"You're starting to sound like him," Jaredeth said with a grimace. "Like father."

"Gods, am I?" His mother gave a mock shiver. "For all his faults, your father was quite the diplomat. I'll give him that, and only that."

Out on the north lawn, two carriages waited, each flanked by guards in red armour. An overcast sky hung above them, and darker clouds gathered in the west with the promise of heavy rain and rough seas. The flowers on the paths were budding, the trees sprouting new leaves and patches of grass breaking free from the ground after being smothered by the winter snow, but it would be weks still before the grounds returned to their green glory.

Jaredeth walked his mother to her carriage. "Safe travels, mother."

"Same to you, son." She nodded at his arm and lowered he voice to a whisper. "Do you still have the... you know?"

He lifted his sleeve of his coat to expose the gold bracer underneath. "Not taking it off, just as I promised." He gave his mother a kiss on the cheek and waved her carriage off.

North to meet an old friend? His father had made many trips and even spent days in Hutton, but he didn't remember his mother ever accompanying him. Jaredeth couldn't shake the pinch of dread in his stomach, but he trusted his mother's judgment. And he had his own journey to worry about. He turned and strode to his carriage, where his wife stood with Havers and the guards who'd be accompanying him. Much to his chagrin, Torrian wasn't among them. His friend was due for his "refreshers" as the guards called them. Pity, Jaredeth could've used the company.

"Your majesty," Havers said with a bow. "I packed the documents drafted by your father and the Council. Do take the time to go through them and ensure they're to your liking."

"Thank you, Havers," Jaredeth said with a smile.

"Godspeed, your majesty." And with one last bow, he took his leave.

Jaredeth turned to his wife, took both her hands in his, but she kept her eyes on her toes. "Are you sure you don't want to accompany me? It's not too late to change your mind."

"I'm sure. I wouldn't want to leave Jaliah for that long," she said.

"Understood. Listen, when I get back, can we talk? Please? I don't want petty politics driving a wedge between us." He moved his hands to her waist and pulled her close. "Please?"

Elaine finally looked up at him and gave a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "Alright, we can talk."

"Thank you." Jaredeth returned her smile. "Give Jaliah an extra kiss for me when you put her to bed. I'll miss you both so much."

"And we'll miss you too. Safe travels." Her words were hollow, forced, but Jaredeth blamed it on the rift between them. He had to fix this.

He leaned over and pressed a kiss to her lips, but she didn't return it. His heart shrivelled a little. "Alright. Take care." He slipped into his carriage and settled into the plush red interior. As it rolled off, he looked back in time to see his wife disappear into the vestibule. She didn't even wave him off. Was she that angry? Jaredeth slouched in his seat and sighed.

From the castle, it was a short ride to the private docks on the east side of the capital. There the royal ship—the Seasong Valkyrie bobbed in the private harbour. Her predecessor had been retired under his grandfather, as he wanted a ship that could withstand the stormy gulf weather. The Valkyrie was thicker and heavier and not as easily tossed by the waves. Aboard the wood and metal beast, the crew bustled around making final checks before they set sail.

When the carriage rolled to a stop, Jaredeth gathered the messenger bag and stepped out. Guards rushed past him towards the gangplank, carrying both his and their luggage. The air was ripe with salt and the earthy tang of a coming storm.

Five days. He wasn't mentally prepared to spend so much time alone at sea. He'd have no respite from his duties—the heavy weight of the bag reminded him of that—and no company to keep him sane. Sure, his guards would be there, but in service, which they took very seriously.

As the guards cleared away, Jaredeth spotted two unwelcomed guests, and irritation made his eye twitch. Standing at the end of the dock was Lazarus and one of his priests. Jaredeth held back a groan as they approached him.

"Your majesty, I wish to beg a favour if you'll hear me," Lazarus said.

Jaredeth had half a mind to refuse him, but his wife seemed fond of the High Priest. Perhaps being nice to him would put him back in her good graces. "What is it?"

"I've recently received word that the Queen of Tandridge is seeking to shut down the Cathedral there, and I'd like to know why. Would it be too much trouble for Daniel here," he gestured to his priest, "to accompany you? I'd like him to liaison with the High Priest there on my behalf."

Again, Jaredeth had half a mind to say no. He looked to Daniel. The Priest was short and portly with a bald head a deep set dark eyes. They'd have extra room on the ship and so long as he didn't bother Jaredeth...

"Fine," he conceded and gestured towards the gangplank. "At your leisure, Daniel."

"Thank you, your majesty." Lazarus bowed his head. "You are an ever gracious king."

Jaredeth waved off the obviously fake compliment and started down the dock to the Valkyrie. Five days on the water, followed by four days of talks and another five days on the water. This trip would wreck him.