Case File: The Backwoods Bastards

Case Status: Closed

Field Report:

   "Every little town has their frea-... Odd residence. Ironside City is no exception. From the day I was born and onwards we had too many ghost stories to tell around the campfires for them all to be fabricated. But they're so unbelievable you can't blame people for disregarding them as urban myth. Take my first case dealing with... the Oddballs. I was three weeks new to the force, fresh out of Military Service, and looking for a job that could put those skills to use. Long hours, numerous days a week. Anything that would keep me out of that shell of a home for the longest amount of time. It was slow at first, and what would transpire September 12th of 1991 would make me wish it would've stayed that way."

////////////////////

"Any Northeast Units, Please Respond. We have a Missing Persons report, last known destination, the Ryker's Hiker's Lounge & Trail." The car radio blared.

"Officer Carmine of Unit 117DL responding. Add it to my stack."

"Roger that 117DL."

"Looks like some excitement after all. You've ever gone hiking, Rookie?"

"Milo. Or just Roth. I didn't spend four years in service to be called a "rookie" when I got home. And I've scaled steeper inclines than a public hiking trail."

"That's good, cause we got a long walk ahead of us, Rookie."

////////////////////

"Took only five minutes for us to park at the base of the trail. The rest would have to be ventured on foot from there. And let me tell you, they don't make those police flashlights bright enough for a hike."

///////////////////

"No wonder why they close the trail at dusk. I can barely see what's in front of my own nose." Carmine spoke to break a silence that went on for too long.

"That's just your schnauzer blocking your view."

"Hey oh! Rookie's got a sense of humor after all."

"Yeah, well I figured you're going to act like a clown I'll point out you have the nose for the job."

"How much tail do you think a clown gets? Thought the uniform would've done the job but I picked up more potheads than road head."

"I don't know. Probably depends on how big you make it in the business- no, wait. I'm getting side tracked. When do we get there?"

"Relax. Look, the Lounge ain't going anywhere and if we're lucky, we may bump into a hiker."

"And if we're unlucky, we'll run into-" I paused as I heard a stick snap. Turned my light to the woods off trail, skimming the scene and expecting something to be staring back at me.

"Rook?" Carmine broke me from my trance.

"Hm? Right, let's continue." I answered, "The sooner we're out of these woods the better." I uttered under my breath.

///////////////////////

"I expected a sense of ease to wave over me upon entering the Lounge at the peak of the trail. Instead, I felt like I was standing in a pit of vipers, all gnashing their fangs at me. A sense of being watched was not only bothering me but Carmine as well, despite the fact that we were the only two souls standing in the building."

//////////////////////

"Police, hello?" Carmine shouted as we approached the front desk at Check-In. "We're answering a missing persons report. Is anyone here?" He ended with ringing the customer service bell.