PERFECT? BULLSHIT

WARNINGS. more feelings of shame.

🖇

"there's a student council meeting a week from today," jimin beams, placing another beaker onto the cart.

the two of you stand in a dim-lighted supply room, gathering up the equipment for tomorrow's lab. mrs. ahn originally assigned jimin to deliver them, but you happened to see him on your way to lunch and offered to help.

your finger halts from jumping from one glass container to another, repeating its number to yourself before turning your head to him. "oh! thank you for telling me," you say as you smile back, "i'll be sure to write that down." you've never missed a meeting in your whole career as a member; it gives you pride, and you'll be sure to keep that afternoon open, and get back on track to being the student you were, you'll put a reminder to be the first one there! you resume your counting before grabbing one last cup from the shelf. "okay, those are all the beakers we need."

jimin reads the sticky note in his hand. "beakers, graduated cylinders, pipettes... flasks! that's all that's left." he turns back at you, smiling from ear to ear. "thank you, _____. i feel like it would have taken me at least an hour to get this done if you didn't help me."

you're sure that it isn't true, since jimin always works efficiently. but his appreciation feels true, and it lifts a little bit of the weight from your shoulders. you wave your palms in front of you, telling him, "it's no problem! i'm always happy to help you... and.. i think i could learn a couple things from you, so i'd like to spend as much time with you as i can."

jimin blinks. then, a pink hue dusts his faintly freckled face. he hides his blush while pushing up his glasses. "i-is that so?"

"yes," you let out a laugh. it's the truth; you could learn from him. jimin's so perfect, so pure. it seems like he has everything together, and he doesn't let anything bring him down. no one can bring him down when he has his position as council president... not even rich, class clown kim taehyung.

jimin knows you're hiding something again with the way you're unable to meet his eyes, watching your own fingers fiddling with one another. it's quiet as he examines you, as he takes note of the shame that swims in your eyes. "_____," he steps closer, leaving just a few inches between the two of you, "is there something that's bothering you?"

"... y-yes," you respond, because there is. there definitely is, but you can't tell him what. you can't possibly tell him everything that happened with taehyung, everything that's racing through your heart and mind right now. but as jimin watches you struggle with your words with such an understanding expression, you can't ask him to forget about your confession. in fact, you want to tell him how you feel undeserving of the praise he gives you, that you feel like you're not the responsible student he thinks you are. "i just... i just feel like..."

the light flickers, like a warning, and you pause.

if you tell him you feel unworthy of being class president, would he see you as unworthy of being in the student council?

he's so close to you, wanting to hold your face in his hand and tilt your head up at him. "feel like what?" he asks, softly.

"... f-feel like we should study together some day!" you let out the most awkward laugh in history, causing him to blink. you begin to ramble, again, "like i said, i thought i could learn a few things from you, and, of course, being the amazing president you are, i think that it would be a great idea if you helped me on any student council assignments so that i can make sure that everything is done correctly and--"

he calls your name and you immediately shut your mouth. there's worry on his face, and it makes you feel guilty for dodging his question, for not telling jimin the whole truth. you're silent, taking in the scent of his cologne and exhaling with a sigh. "i'm sorry," you lower your head, "it's just that... you're perfect, jimin."

"perfect?"

"yes... and i want to be like you, except... i'm not. i'm anything but perfect..." your voice is small, quiet, almost inaudible, "i'm dirty..."

jimin wants to tell you that it's not true. that no one is perfect, that he isn't perfect, and that you're so much more than what you think. jimin wants you to tell him why you think you're dirty, even if it means that the cute class president image he has of you in his head will be tainted, because he thinks he can take it. scratch that, he knows he can tolerate it, because he isn't the student council leader you think he is.

but before he can even say a word, the door of the storage room opens abruptly.

"class! president!"