𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.

trigger warning : mentions of sexual violence against a minor. this is a work of fiction and absolutely not condoned in real life.

— 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐲𝐧.

It was out of the question to talk to Tommy about living with her Aunt, and she certainly didn't want to upset Polly by asking; so automatically, the next best option was Michael.

Polly had sent Evie and Michael down to the betting shop together, informing them that she'd be joining them sometime later. Evie took this as her chance.

"Michael," Evie began.

"Evie?"

Evie stopped, and Michael turned to face her. She looked up at her newfound brother, earnestly but lost.

"I'm sorry, Michael. But I don't feel comfortable, here in Small Heath. I know it's only been three days, but I'm strongly against staying here. I know I have an Aunt living somewhere down south, I've met her once, you see, if you could just ask Tommy to send me her address so I can write to her. I know Polly will be sad but I really want to leave and," Evie rambled on hopelessly, but Michael cut in by putting his hands on her shoulders.

"Hold your horses, Evie!" Michael soothed, "I know it's a lot to take in, but I promise you'll get used to Small Heath. Polly is our mother, she loves you. You'll come to love her again, like I have," Michael told Evie, calmly.

"You don't understand, Michael," Evie beseeched, earnestly. "You knew Polly; I've never met her. Please, I'm still grieving for my parents, I just want to be somewhere familiar."

Michael searched Evie's eyes, "Evelyn, I can't,"

"Please, Michael, just talk to Tommy about this, get him to find my Aunt's address, I mean, he found mine!" Evie begged, unshed tears shining in her eyes.

"Evie," Michael started softly, "I can't do this to my mum. She loves you," He let go of her shoulders.

Evie desperately tried to catch his eye and plead to him, but he just turned away, and gripped her elbow, taking her to the betting shop, "You'll just have to learn to love her back."

Evie did try and pull away, saddened and helpless, but eventually let herself be dragged to the betting shop in her brother's grip.

Michael held the door and led Evie in, and sat her on an empty chair, pulling a Blinder aside and secretly asking them to keep an eye on Evie.

Evie sat still, her coat in her lap, looking down at her hands. She couldn't get through to Finn, or to her brother, so she'd have to take this to someone else. She didn't have the guts or the heart to upset Polly, who'd been anything but nice to her, so she decided once she got alone with Tommy, she'd beg him, on her knees if she had to, despite Finn's warning.

The day went quickly, worker's coming and going, Polly arriving and smiling at Evie, getting on with her work. Evie sat in the chair Michael had placed her in for the entirety of this. She was getting restless, itching to go and stand in the cold air and just think.

She'd figured Michael had cooled off from whatever had happened earlier, and he was nowhere in sight, so she stood up, wrapping her coat around herself, and walking to the door. That is, until a man stood in front of her, and shook his head.

"What?" Evie asked, confused. Why was he blocking her path?

"You're not allowed to leave, Miss Gray," The man said in his thick, brummie accent. Yes, he'd been ask to secretly keep an eye on her, but he wasn't high enough in the gang hierarchy to get the personal warning from Polly to keep Evie out of the gang dealings.