𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱.

— 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐲𝐧.

Tommy led the pair in his car, but he eventually got ahead of them in the string of traffic, leaving their car trailing behind at a lost pace.

This gave Evie a chance to bring herself back into reality, to get out of her blank stupor, where she had been sitting still, listlessly.

With a gasp of panic, she felt around her, calling, "Michael, stop the car!"

The car swerved, until it screeched to a halt at the side of the road. The only sound was Evie's heavy breathing.

She turned to her brother with tears in her eyes, "Michael, I just killed a man."

Michael's eyes were on her, pitifully. Yes, she'd killed a man, however, Tommy could easily get rid of him — what Michael worried about was Evie's well-being and mental stability. His poor, baby sister had been through so much. Had this pushed her over the edge?

"Evie, it'll be alright," Michael tried to calm Evie as her breath quickened, and she held her head in her hands, scrunching her eyes closed. Tears slipped out, regardless.

"Will mum be mad?" Evie worried, her voice quivering.

Michael stared at Evie, stunned. This was the first time he'd heard her address Polly as 'mum'. This should've been a happy occasion, a step in the right direction, but instead it was because she was panicking after killing a man. Michael winced.

Michael couldn't give an answer. Polly had been adamant to keep Evie away from the business, and now Michael had unwittingly led her into her first murder. Polly would be mad, but not at Evie, never at Evie. Tommy would want an explanation, though.

Michael almost growled. All because he thought Tommy was in danger—! All Michael wanted to do was take Evelyn sight
-seeing, but it'd ended in death. A typical Peaky Blinders day, he thought drily.

Michael did his best to calm Evie down as he restarted the journey, who quietened to the lull of the road and sat still for the remainder of the quest, even as he pulled into Small Heath, up to Polly's house. Michael, on the other hand, was shitting himself. No doubt this'd lead back to being his fault. He'd left Evie and the gun in the car and led her to them.

Evie watched the familiar view of Polly's house coming into the picture, and did her best not to shrink back into her seat.

No doubt Tommy would be there, Evie stressed. She'd spotted his vacant car across the street. Of course.

Without a word to one another, the siblings both piled out of the car, and Michael led the pair into the house.

They slinked into the sitting room, where Polly and Tommy were waiting.

She'd expected anger, but instead Polly gave her a small smile. It was sad and didn't reach her eyes, though.

"Come and have a seat, love," Polly pressed, softly.

Evie wandered over to sit opposite her, fearfully.

"Sweetheart, I understand what happened today," Polly began, tentatively.

"It," Polly glanced up at Tommy, "It was unfortunate, but please, don't worry, it'll be alright,"

"It'll never happen again," Tommy butted in. The blood was gone from his face and his voice was full of ice.

Evie's eyes snapped to him, and to avoid conflict, she nodded her head, obediently.

Tommy nodded, mostly to himself, before excusing himself from the room; he summoned Michael with him. Polly was giving Michael a piercing glare— she'd talk with him later.

Instead, for now, she focused on her daughter, who looked like she'd burst into tears at any moment. This broke Polly's heart; her daughter was supposed to peacefully transfer into the Gray life, instead she'd been raped and had now murdered someone. It couldn't have spiralled into disaster any fucking worse. Their family was so cursed.

Polly's heart really did crack when Evie sobbed out a 'Mum' so broken, which caused Polly to draw her into her arms and hold her for what seemed like hours.

Polly wiped away Evie's tears, and stroked her hair. And then began to chuckle to herself; how ironic, Polly had tried so hard to keep the girl innocent from the Shelby lifestyle which was so violent and full of murder, yet her fifteen year old daughter had committed one in cold blood — she certainly was a Shelby, and there was nothing Polly could do about it.

Later, after all her tears were cried, Evie was sent off to bed. She couldn't help but think back to what she felt like in this bed on her first night; scared, confused and helpless. Now, she felt grateful for Polly's love, comforted by Michael's reassurance, and protected by Tommy's conscience.

Evie turned to look at the framed picture of her old parents, giving it one last emotional look, before gently sliding it into the draw.

Evie felt like her life was slotting into place, as if the universe was telling her, you truly are a Gray.

.

.

After a few months of Evie working alongside her kin in the betting shop, Polly decided it was no place for a nearly sixteen year old girl, and looked to enroll her into a local school.

Evie was in full agreement— she had been in education back in Hastings, and definitely missed it. It must have never occurred to Polly when she first moved here, with the entire strangeness of her situation.

Evie finished her cup of tea which Polly had made for her, and she slipped on her coat, ready for her first day at her new Brummie school. She was about to leave, but turned and embraced Polly, tightly and full of love.

"Bye, mum," Evie murmured, head buried in Polly's shoulder. She couldn't see Polly's tears of happiness as her back was rubbed.

"Have a good day at school, love, and stay out of trouble! You may be a Gray but that's not an excuse!" Polly hollered as Evie escaped through the front door, laughing.

Michael And Isaiah were outside, waiting for her.

"'Ello, boys." Evie beamed at the pair, and rocked on her feet.

"You're really picking up the accent, Evie— which is a shame, I preferred your toff one," Michael jutted Isaiah in the ribs, cutting him off, as he smiled back at his sister. Evie laughed along as she was walked to the local school.

Reaching her destination, she waved goodbye to Michael and Isaiah as she walked into the front entrance, both boys waving proudly back.

Most children didn't look at Evie; they knew who she was, and didn't dare disrespect her. Evie tried to not let this deter her; she was happy to be in school.

Her first lesson rolled around, and she was signalled to come into the classroom. She blanched as she took in all the children her age sitting in front of her, gaging her.

The teacher also seemed a little unsure of herself, but ultimately smiled a small smile at Evie, who returned it.

"Everyone, we have a new student with us today. Would you like to introduce yourself, dear?"

Evie nodded, and turned to her peers, ready to start her new life, despite the ups and downs she had faced to come to this point, she was content with her life, and cherished every person and every moment in it.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Evelyn Gray."

𝐟𝐢𝐧.

#

🎉 You've finished reading 𝗂𝖿 𝖺𝗇𝗒𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗉𝖾𝗇𝗌. / P.B 🎉