Caesar

Caesar was sitting at the little table overlooking the water, a book in one hand and a delicate cup of tea in the other, when Joseph rushed out onto the balcony in a panic, clad in shorts and a bed sheet. Judging by the sun glittering over the clear blue waves, it must have been at least 9:00 – approximately 4 hours after their training usually started.

JoJo's panic seemed to lose steam at the sight of Caesar sitting at the table with his legs crossed, drinking tea. Without the bluster, he looked lost standing there in the sunlight holding a sheet around himself, his hair mashed from sleep, eyebrows knit together like he had been trying to figure out a complicated equation only to watch it transform into a chinchilla. "What – ?"

"Lisa Lisa gave us the day off for you to completely heal," Caesar replied coolly. He hoped it sounded cool – maintaining the impression of calm was suddenly a little harder with JoJo standing there half dressed. Much less than half, really. Caesar raised an eyebrow, trying to win back the upper hand. "So this is how late you sleep in if no one stops you, huh?"

A slight blush colored JoJo's face, but he pressed on. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Caesar shrugged, turning back to his book. "Didn't want to wake you."

A wordless noise of exasperation was the only response JoJo gave. Caesar had expected him to turn and head back inside – to put on some pants, at the very least – but he sauntered over to the table and flopped down in the chair across from him. The sheet had mostly slipped off – a fact JoJo neither seemed to notice nor care about – and he was shirtless. Caesar tried to focus on something other than the sunlight on his skin. He thought about asking him to pull up the sheet or go put something on, but he wasn't certain he could do it without blushing. Even if he could, he knew asking the question was admitting to a huge weakness, one he had hardly even admitted to himself.

"So," JoJo said, leaning forward on one elbow. "What are we doing today?"

Caesar set the book down with a sigh. He had the feeling he wouldn't be getting back to it for a while. "We should probably think about a strategy for when we go up against -"

"Hey," JoJo interrupted, perking up. "You should show me around Venice!"

Caesar crossed his arms over his chest. "What makes you think I want to spend the day acting as your tour guide?"

JoJo leaned in, a sly smile spreading across his face. "Because I know your secret."

"Oh?" Caesar said dryly, even as his heart skipped a beat. Blush now and you lose everything, Zeppeli. "What's that?"

JoJo pointed an accusatory finger at Caesar, smiling like he knew he had won. "You actually enjoy spending time with me!"

Caesar was still trying to calm the hammering of his heart as JoJo leaned across the table to ruffle his hair. "Come on, Caesar-chan, it'll be fun. I just want to spend one day not thinking about dueling for my life in ten days."

Caesar held his gaze across the table, arms still crossed, but he could feel himself giving in. Because of that comment about taking his mind off the upcoming fight, probably. Or because of that stupid smile and that Caesar was weak.

"Fine," he sighed, breaking his gaze away, and whatever he had just agreed to, JoJo's smile instantly made it worth it.

ig I'm a person who updates in the morning now, not sure how that happened. Votes and comments are much appreciated if y'all are enjoying!

 - Wesley H.