Chapter 16

"We need your help. HA. OKAY. SURE. They need our help to totally die in a horrible way! They want to go to WAR with the faction that basically wiped out Abnegation. Who's STUPID idea was that?! Because I'm sure as hell NOT GOING TO GO TO WAR. NO THANK YOU." I internally grumble, laying awake in my bed.

     At this point I have given up on trying to be all calm and chill and not psychotic. Right now is the perfect time to be psychotic! We should all be freaking out! Unfortunately Kat doesn't see it that way. She wants to help Dauntless. SHE WANTS TO GO TO WAR. Why?! Are Kira and Dylan THAT important to you that you have to risk EVERYTHING for them?

     The only thing that I can think to do is leave before the battle begins. Slip away through the pre chaos and ride the train all the way to the sun and never look back. I just have to figure out how to get Kat and Audrey on board.

     Eventually, my eyes start to get heavy, and I finally sink down into a dreamless sleep.

—-

     The next morning, we're all gathered in the main hall area discussing battle plans. It's mainly all the important people though, and somehow Kat, Audrey and I made it onto the list....and Jackson. I glance over at the kid who's standing a little too close to Audrey. I want to yell at him to go away, but there's more important things at stake right now.

     I don't really know what we're talking about right now though, probably because I'm not paying attention to a word Sir Scowly Face the Third or his Bride of Death and Destruction is saying. I'm planning my own plan, and I don't need their plan to outplan my awesome plan. So I would appreciate it if they would SHUT UP so I could concentrate better.

     Anyway, so they night before we go to battle I will sneak out and scout out good places to hideout. I may have to take a quick little train ride, but I should be back before the sun comes out. The next morning, I'm going to get Kat and Audrey to slip away from the army with me just before they leave. We'll then take the train to wherever we're hiding out when the war is going on. Then, since everyone will hate us because we didn't fight, we'll go somewhere else, such as beyond the wall maybe. It's perfect and wonderful and TOTALLY going to work.

     I'm broken out of my slightly delusional dream plan by a commotion happening around me. I notice that everyone is looking up, so I decide to look up too. I see three girls walking slowly towards a ledge the next level above us. The creepy thing is that they're all walking at the same pace, and saying the exact thing over and over again.

     "Hand over Tris Prior, or every day your death will follow."

     They get closer and closer to the ledge, and it's takes me a moment to realize Tris and Tobias are running up there after them. I'm not sure they're going to make it though, since the three girls are nearly at the ledge. After the fifth time of them repeating the creepy chant, they take a step off the ledge, and less than a second later Tobias grabs the girl closest to him, and Tris lunges for the one closest to her. She nearly misses, but manages to latch onto her hand before she could fall. The middle girl, however, has no one to catch her, and she plummets to the ground.

     At the last second, I reach over and wrap my hands around Audrey's eyes and ears, so she won't have to see the girl die or hear the impact. Once it's over, I let go, and stare at the dead girl, just like everyone else is.

     "Oh shit." Audrey breathes, as she looks over at Jackson.

     I look at him too, and he looks like he's in absolute shock. I then look back over at the dead girl, and realization suddenly clicks in my mind. I don't know much about Jackson's family, but I do know he has a sister. A sister named Marline. Who's blonde and tall, just like the girl laying on the ground in front of me.