Chapter 1: Fever

- Polar Tang, somewhere underwater on the Grand Line. July 14th. -

"Ay ay captain, I need fresh air please, I'm dying!" Shouted Bepo asking our captain, and my best friend, Trafalgar D Water Law to please emerge from underwater. Bepo is a polar bear mink, and does not like hot environments, so he is usually hot whenever we pass a lot of time underwater in the submarine.

"Let's emerge, guys" said Law, annoyed, but willing to make the polar bear feel better. Me, despite not being a polar bear, I'm always hot, so I praised the lord for the decision.

"Aya aya, Thank you captain!!!" Bepo celebrated and grabbed me by the arm pulling me eagerly to the main door, because he knew how much I love to get fresh air, as much as he does.

From the control room, Shachi and Penguin shouted, announcing that we can fully unlock the door. And so, we did. Outside there was a clear blue sky, the sun was shining, but apparently, we were close to some winter islands, so the temperature was lower than we were expecting.

Fresh cold air hit my freckled cheeks and it felt wonderful. "Oi, Y/n-ya, don't go outside without your coat. You are going to catch a cold", said Law while placing a white coat over my shoulders. My best friend, despite the unfriendly appearance he normally shows, has the biggest heart and takes care of the one he loves.

I've known him since we were 13 years old, while wandering on a certain island of the North Blue after losing my family. A few weeks before knowing him, I found the Nagi no mi and became the user of it. So, when we introduced ourselves, we realized I was the new user of the devil fruit that had "Cora-san", the person that saved Law's life. Both of us were alone, and sad, so we held onto each other, striving to survive. I wanted to become a doctor like him, so we studied together. Now I'm his right hand whenever we have a surgery.

"Aren't you coming outside?" I asked Law, which was still inside, looking through the door with a listlessly gaze at the immense sea around us. He looked at me, sighed and said, "Tomorrow is 15th". He didn't wait for my response and walked away.

Our captain still misses "Corazón", Rosinante, or "Cora-san", as he usually calls him, and on July 15th was his birthday. He was killed by his brother, Donquixote Doflamingo, who was taken down and sent to prison by Law and the Mugiwaras, a few months ago. I didn't say a word, mainly because I knew how Law hates to show his feelings and even if I decide to say something, it wasn't going to help at all. The afternoon went by, and while the crew was having fun relaxing on the deck, Law didn't show up. So, I proceeded to go see him, he usually loves to be alone, but this time I felt he needed some company.

I headed straight to the kitchen, made his favorite tea and went to his room. "Oi, Doc, you've been there for a good 5 hours, I brought your fave tea. Can I come in?", I asked, but didn't receive any answer, so I knocked, and the door opened. "I'm sorry dumbass, it was unlocked, I brought some tea for... "I stopped when I saw Law on the floor, with red cheeks, sweated and unconscious holding something red on his hand. "Law, what the hell?" I said while placing my hand over his forehead. His skin was burning. He was running a strong fever that caused him to faint. I was worried because I didn't know how much time had passed since he had fainted. In any case I needed to make the temperature go down, as quick as possible.

"Law, Law, are you with me?" I asked him while grabbing him by the shoulders making soft movements. The captain vaguely opened his eyes and said "Y/n-ya... I'm ok, do... don't worry", "Of course you are not, your temperature is really high, why didn't you tell me you were feeling like this?, come on you should take a bath right away". He passed his arm around my neck and I grabbed him by his waist. Law is pretty tall, but I am stronger than I seemed, so I made him stand up and took him to the bathroom.