Chapter 1

“And that my friends, is why chocolate chip ice cream is better than vanilla.” Reese says, grinning at the five of us. I roll my eyes and smirk at him.

“Obviously not, Reese. Just admit it, c’mon.” Genevieve, who is sitting to his right, says in a mocking tone. I nod my head in agreement from across the circular table.

“Ilaria! You should be agreeing with me!” Reese says, putting his umber colored hands up in the air in frustration.

“Sorry dude, vanilla is better.” I giggle as he smacks his head against the table a few times. His coily hair flies with his movements.

“What did you say this time?” Quinn says, putting down his plate next to me before taking a seat.

“He can’t handle facts.” Genevieve explains to Quinn while putting a hand on Reese’s shoulder. Reese groans while his head stays on the table.

“Not true. You guys are just bland.” I kick Reese from under the table after his words. He kicks me back.

“Chocolate chip is-”

“Hey everyone!” Skye says before I can finish. Her box braids lay along her back as she stands holding her lunch tray. I smile at her and a few hello’s come from everyone else.

“Your hair looks so pretty!” Genevieve exclaims, putting her hands together with a big grin plastered on her face. The sun shines down on us, making her tawny skin shine. Her smile makes her hooded eyes smaller.

"Thank you so much! My grandma did it after she got home from work.” she replies, patting her head. I laugh and motion her to come sit by my left.

“It looks great! I love how it frames your face.” I say with a smile. Her face beams as she sits down before she starts to eat.

“As I was saying, Reese, vanilla is better. After a while, chocolate chip gets repetitive and bad.” I exclaimed, trying to explain my thinking.

“Huh? No, absolutely not.” Skye says, looking at me and giggling. “You’ve got it all wrong.” 

“Vanilla is trash.” I turn around to see Vesper looking at me with his piercing blue eyes. I roll my eyes as he comes to sit in between Quinn and Reese. 

“Your opinion is wrong.” Genevieve says from across from him. He looks at her for a moment before licking his lips.

“No, you’re just ignorant.” He smirks as he grabs his burger.

“I am not ignorant!”

“Are to.” Vesper says taking a bite out of his food.

“No-”

“Yes.”

“Will you both knock it off? Let’s just agree to disagree.” 

“Looks like Quinn has been spending too much time with his Argaderra friends again.” I say jokingly. He rolls his eyes and chuckles.

"Hey! Looks like someone has been spending too much time with her Panala friends again.” Skye says, mocking me as a joke.

I laugh before saying, “Yeah, I have.” I stick my tongue out at her before finishing the bite of food I had left.

“Skye, spending too much time with your friends from Myada, Hm?” Vesper says while looking at her. She flips him off. “Just like I thought.” He finishes.

“Vesper, you live on Burakin, I don’t want to hear it.” Genevieve says while pointing a finger at him. He squints his eyes at her before saying, “Sweetheart, you live on Talda. I don’t want to hear it.” He copies her by pointing at her. A sheet of pink covers her face before Reese clears his throat.