Chapter 2

I let go of Skye’s arm and start for the way out of the hideout.

    “Ilaria!” I keep walking, ignoring Vesper’s attempt at stopping me.

    “Ilaria! What the hell are you doing?” I stop in my tracks.

    “I’m getting out of here!” I yell. “It’s not safe. The sirens are going off for a reason!” I continue. Genevieve and Reese grab their bags and start following me.

    “Wait up!”

    Vesper, Quinn, and Skye grab their things and catch up to us.

    I have no idea why the sirens are going off, but it can’t be a good reason. Once we get to the park we can see why the sirens are going off. People, zombies maybe, are everywhere. Screaming people are running everywhere, trying to get away.

    “Holy shit,” Vesper says, gawking at the creatures. Skye runs in front of me, headed for her apartment complex.

    “Are you guys just going to stand there?” She yells over the commotion. We all follow her, maneuvering away from the ugly creatures that surround us.

Their skin is grey and their eyes bulge out of their heads. They look like they would be skeletons if the thin layer of decaying skin was gone. I have to cover my nose with my shirt to keep out the smell of rotting flesh. Their teeth are also rotten and bloody. Their clothes are torn up and hanging onto them by threads.

    None of us look back, we just keep running through the grass.

    Eventually, we make it to the apartment building. Skye swings the door open and is met with one of the creatures. She lets out a shriek as it comes at her. I take off my backpack and smack the thing with it. It lets out a blood-curdling scream as it falls to the floor.

    “Let’s go!” I yell, staring up the stairs. Aren’t we just the luckiest to have her house on the very top floor?

    I lead the group at the front, Vesper stays at the back making sure to check behind him every few seconds. Just when we were about to reach the final flight of stairs, another one of the ugly creatures pops up. I yelp out of shock. Quinn jumps in front of me and flings his backpack right at its face. The creature flies past the railing and falls down the fourteen flights of stairs, Quinn’s backpack following its lead.

    “Thanks!” I holler, running past him.

    “Don’t mention it!” he hollers from behind me. We reach Skye’s door. I knock several times. Nothing.

    “What is it?” Skye questions as she reaches the door.

    “Nobody is answering!” I yell frustratedly. She jiggles the handle several times before slamming the door with her fists. 

    “Mom? Mom, are you in there?” All of a sudden the door swings open revealing her grandma's frail form. Skye hugs her mom tightly, moving both of them so we can all enter the room. Once the door is shut, Reese locks both locks on the door.

    “I thought you were dead! What took you so long?” her grandma said frantically, holding Skye’s face in her hands. 

    “We all went to the park. What’s going on?” Skye looks at her grandma, confusion all over her face. I look around at each of us. We all look like a mess.

    “A ship showed up at Argaderra-”

    “There are more people out there? I thought they were all dead?”

    “Baby, don’t interrupt me.” Her grandma says, looking over at Genevieve.

    “Sorry,” Genevieve says, looking at the ground in embarrassment.