Chapter 1

Arctic walked slowly throughout the town center, colorful stalls were lined up in several places with many Kinsolfs selling their products trying to make a living. Most sold food whether it be baked goods, raw meat, etc. The smells merged together making an, interesting one to say in the least. Arctic chose to try and block out some of the one she didn't like while her paws crunched through the thin layer of snow. It wasn't usually this thin, or maybe she had just grown taller. Either way it had never really mattered to her much. As the smells kept plaguing her nose her stomach growled and she finally caved. Nearby was a small bakery, she hadn't seen it before but it smelled good. 

     She began to approach the seller at the bakery stand, their fur was cream colored with various splotches of different shades of brown. Arctic stared up at the menu towards the top of the stand, there were things like cookies, slices of cake, doughnuts, and more. She decided on a cinnamon roll, she pulled out her wallet and when she looked up the seller was giving her a shocked expression, "Could I have a cinnamon roll please?" Arctic asked a bit nervously. 

      "Oh yes! Sorry I just never thought you of all Kinsolfs would buy my stuff. I would've  expected you to go to the more popular bakers or something." This was somewhat normal, she had eventually gotten used to it but it still made her upset. Her parents were the current rulers so occasional responses of shock were normal.

      "It's alright, things here smelled good and you seem new"

      "Yeah I am, I've been working really hard to finally be able to sell my stuff but no one seems to really be buying" the baker replied as they took a pair of tongs and grabbed a large cinnamon roll. It was about the size of a medium bowl and had an almost clear glaze all over it. The baker soon placed it inside of a small, white, somewhat translucent paper bag that crinkled as it was opened. The bag was handed to Arctic and she handed the baker a small amount of coins for the payment. 

      Arctic took a small bite of the cinnamon roll and was pleased to find how good it tasted. The cinnamon bread and glaze practically melted in her mouth, "Holy shit this is good." She exclaimed a bit wide eyed. "Could I get another and a few cookies? I like having things to snack on when I draw. Also what's your name, if you don't mind me asking?"

      "Of course, and it's Hazel" Hazel, replied with a smile as she got the cookies and cinnamon roll together and put them in their paper bags. As Hazel handed Arctic the bags Arctic placed more coins on the counter and said her goodbyes to Hazel. Arctic continued to walk around until the sun started setting, the clouds turning brilliant shades of pink and purple. 

      She then walked home and raided the kitchen against the chef's protests making herself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Throughout eating the sandwich she couldn't stop snickering because the chef was glaring at her with his ears pointing forwards and arms crossed. Once she finished her sandwich she set her plate by the sink and headed to her room.

She quickly pulled out a notebook and dragged her finger across a list of names and art commissions for each customer. When she arrived at the next one to do she read off the order and got to work on a sketch for the customer. She didn't exactly live off of just her parents money since they were the rulers, she also lived off of her own income that she got from doing art. It was more of a hobby but she enjoyed doing it as a job. Not to mention it gave her a kickstart for when her parents would have to pick a new ruler in a few years and they wouldn't be getting money for ruling. As she finished the sketch she yawned and looked at a small clock, 11 pm. She decided that she should take a break and hopped into bed. 

———————————————————————————————————————————

707 words

Uhhhh sorry this isn't the greatest first chapter- I didn't think introducing the love interest in the first chapter would be the greatest and just kinda wanted to set up Arctic a bit. PLEASE tell me what you think in the comments if anyone even reads this- but yeh

Arctic out