chapter 1 ~ travel to me by buzz

"Far away, you're my sunshine. We were together."

A light tap on her shoulder brought the 20-year-old's attention away from her notebook and music. She took the earbuds out and looked behind her. She was met with a guy who appeared to be around her age. Pink hair and a shy smile.

He gestured to the seat across from her that was currently occupied by her bookbag. "Is that seat taken?"

"Oh, no." She quickly told him and moved her bag to the floor beside her chair.

"Thanks." He sat down, placing his own bookbag down beside the chair. He took out his laptop and notebook out. While he waited for his laptop to load, he looked over the top directly towards her.

She didn't notice at first.

She was too busy highlighting keynotes and marking small reminders to herself. The moment she felt someone staring, she looked up with a light pink shade instantly coating her cheeks. Their eyes met as she took an earbud out.

"Sorry," he apologized. "I'm used to staring at the wall while waiting for this to load." He gestured towards his laptop, earning a small nod from her.

"It's alright. That's usually me but I forgot mine back in my room today." Her eyes glanced around the café noticing it was unusually packed. Not that she minded as she always had music in her ears, blocking out any chaos from around her. Her gaze eventually landed on the guy across from her again.

Their eyes still met.

"What?" She asked, the blush on her cheeks growing.

The other let out a light laugh. "Nothing," he said with his eyes returning to his laptop screen.

A few minutes passed when he looked over the top again, just for their eyes to meet again. Instead of saying anything, both returned their gazes to their own schoolwork.

It didn't stop there though.

Nope.

It happened a couple more times.

At one point, he couldn't take it anymore and finally introduced himself. "I'm Yeosang." He smiled.

Due to how pink she felt her face was, she looked towards him just enough for him to catch her eyes. "Kyungmiㅡ"

The 20-year-old was cut off by one of the workers calling her name. She excused herself and headed towards the counter.

When she returned, there was a plate in one hand and two forks in the other. She placed the dessert in the empty space between her notebook and his laptop, the forks set right beside the plate.

"Want any?" She offered, pointing to the chocolate brownie.

Yeosang wanted to say yes, but felt it was most likely an empty offer. "You sure?"

"Yeah. I'm not really a big fan of chocolate. I got it since they were out of strawberry bingsu." She picked up the extra fork and held it out towards him. Yeosang still hesitated, but soon gave in by accepting the fork.

He didn't notice it but her smile slightly grew the moment the utensil left her hand.

The remainder of their time at the café was spent in silence. Yeosang was focused on getting most of his paper done, while Kyungmi was constantly switching highlighters to color-code the notes correctly. Music blasted in her ears to help keep her focused.

The two students probably would have stayed until closing too if Yeosang hadn't noticed it getting dark out. He packed up his things first before tapping her shoulder again.

Kyungmi pulled the earbud out again and looked at him. Yeosang couldn't understand why he suddenly felt nervous every time she looked at him.

He pointed towards the window next to their table. "It's getting late and I've got to go. Didn't want to just disappear on you though."

Kyungmi was confused at first until she looked out the window and saw just how late it was getting. She quickly checked her phone to see many missed calls from her brother and texts from his boyfriend.

"Oh no, he's gonna kill me." She mumbled to herself as she rushed to push everything into her bag.

Hearing the latter half of her words, Yeosang grew concerned and ran after her. He grabbed her arm and stopped her from going any further. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"What?" She questioned before realizing what she had said before. "Oh, no. It's not like that. I was referring to my brother. He's a bit of a worrier."

"Are you sure? If you need to you can come hang out with me and my roommates for a bit?" Yeosang offered, worried she may have been making up an excuse. He knew it was a long shot as well, but figured he should at least try.

"I'll be okay. I don't live too far from here anyways. Just down there," she answered and pointed in the direction behind her.

"You live off campus?"

"Yeah, why?"

"It's just I do too. But over there." He briefly explained, pointing in the opposite direction of her. He stopped himself from saying that's why they probably haven't met before. "How often do you come here?"

"Every other day sometimes. But I'm always in that corner if you ever need somewhere to sit."

With a small nod, Yeosang's brain started processing the new information he just got. "Well then I hope we get to meet again sometime soon. Walk home safely."

"I will. You too." She smiled before adjusting her jacket and quickly heading home.

Yeosang waited until he no longer saw her figure before he started his own walk home. The entire time his brain was still trying to wrap around what had just happened for him in the past few hours at the café. He didn't understand it, but he didn't hate it.

~❀~

As soon as she entered the apartment she was met with her brother waiting.

"And where were you?"

"Where I am every Sunday, Minnie. The café." She slipped her shoes off and headed towards her room. The older Song held her arm and stopped her.

"You're an hour late. You know the rules Kyu."

His sister rolled her eyes with a sigh. "Yes I do. I lost track of time once. I came here right away, plus I was just down the street."

"It's not 'just down the street' and you know that. The café is across the street of the science building which is 20 minute walk from here." Mingi let go of her arm just to cross his arms. "You're supposed to check in so I know you're safe."

"Which I am. Right here in front of you safe and sound." She adjusted the strapping falling off her shoulder, tiredness in her eyes starting to show. "Now can I please go change my clothes?"

Mingi sighed but nodded. "Yeah, go ahead. We're going to order in for dinner tonight."

"Sounds good!" She told him as she entered her room. Locking the door behind her, she tossed her bag to the side and laid on her bed.

She lightly threw her phone beside her on the bed. Her mind wandered back to the guy she met at the café.

Yeosang.

For some reason the name sounded familiar to her.

She didn't know why.

But her mind wouldn't stop thinking about his voice either. His smile. His pink hair that reminded her of fluffy cotton candy even in the dim light. Or the fact as he offered to take her somewhere safe despite being a complete stranger when he thought she was going somewhere unsafe.

All she knew was the other's name.

Yet that was enough for her cheeks to turn red again.